DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2010
I've been lurking for quite a while but this is my first post. I wanted to get some more eyes on DD's swing. I have a list of things that I think we need to work but would like to see what you guys think as well.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDNwrPTaEgY[/video]

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How well is she hitting the ball currently?

Do you have any full-speed video you can share? Slo-mo doesn't tell the whole story.

At first glance, I see issues with hand path, weight shift over the rear leg, and extension through contact.

May 30, 2010
She always makes contact. Low balls she crushes but she also hits a lot of very high fly balls. She was averaging 10-12 home runs over the summer. Then highschool coach wanted her to hit "his" way. (ie) hitting down on the ball. Since then she has developed these issues. I don't have any full speed video but will get some next time she hits.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Toe Touch to Hip Slot
dfp-2015-0403-newell220.gif

1. The hands should stay near the shoulder until hip slot. They are pushing toward the catcher.

2. The back hip and shoulder should have rotated much further during this phase

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
P
Toe Touch to Hip Slot
dfp-2015-0403-newell220.gif

1. The hands should stay near the shoulder until hip slot. They are pushing toward the catcher.

2. The back hip and shoulder should have rotated much further during this phase

I agree with point 1 here. Teach her to pull with the bottom hand instead of letting the top hand push. Get rid of the casting and its a nice swing. I think the lack of extension comes from her making contact too early in her sequence....prior to the optimum energy transfer. The swing that starts at the 2:00 mark is the one I saw where she gets some extension. One arm drills focusing on the bottom hand will help her. The bottom hand is the pilot. Top hand is just along for the ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321