dd swing what needs improving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Coach's Eye

here is a coaches eye video let me know what we need to work on. thank you

She just twists her back leg (bug squish), she doesn't drive the back hip through. She drops her back elbow, and then pulls the knob instead of throwing the barrel. No weight shift.

You need to push the back side through using your butt muscles. You don't twist the leg and turn.

See below;

aj7seqc.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
She is defiantly squishing the bug. Start with first things first and get all that weight off the back leg and redistributed between both . Then put a weight shift in her swing. The easiest way to start is put her at the plate in her normal stance then have her bring her front foot to her back foot. then stride forward and catch her self on a strong (bent or softened ) front knee on the ball of her forward foot.

IMHO I would start there if the bottom half dosent work correctly it really dosent matter what the top half does. Hope this helps.

Tim

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
if the bottom half dosent work correctly it really dosent matter what the top half does. Hope this helps.

I second that

SL

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I got a bunch of new kids this year for high school that all squish. I posted about the milk crate drill. I have found this to be one of the better ways of breaking this. Howard talked to me about it, and after I got to see a video of how it works, I have been using it since. Milk crate, Foam pipe wrap and a couple of pull Ties to hold the foam in place and you have one. You place it between her legs with the foam facing toward the back leg. The foam goes across the top of one side of the crate. If she is squishing the bug she will not hit the foam. It is to get them to hit the foam with the leg so they understand the back leg action.

Jan 2, 2012
so i guess the last 11 weeks of going to batting coach was wasted money. going to start a new guy next week that uses stuff he learned from howard thanks for your help.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
so i guess the last 11 weeks of going to batting coach was wasted money. going to start a new guy next week that uses stuff he learned from howard thanks for your help.

Wow! Eleven weeks and she still has no sequence. Here's the basic sequence. It's not that complicated and doesn't take 11 weeks.

2j0dxyc.gif

You can probably teach it yourself in a couple of nights. Once you get it down, just replace the ball with a small tee-ball bat and do one arm swings. Then progress to two hands and the lightest regular sized bat you have. The bottom hand should naturally alter the throwing motion and tighten up the pinch in the back arm. That's the stacked back forearm that some keep talking about. IMO the stacked back forearm happens naturally when the correct back arm action is used with the bottom hand on the bat. You can design a drill to teach a stacked back arm, but why would you want to if you don't have to? If you find the pinch in the back arm is not tight enough, Epstein's "Enforcer Drill" will easily tighten it up.

FFS, do you have that clip of the NY Yankee hitter taking live batting in spring training with a screen on homeplate? That's basically the concept behind the "Enforcer Drill".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp