DD Quit As a Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
A couple of days ago DD told me she no longer wants to catch. I kind of saw it coming, but was sadden as to why.

She thinks she isn't a good catcher and would prefer to be an outfielder which she thinks she is better at. I tried my best to assure she was a good catcher and reminded her of all the games she caught last year with another team, which had four catchers. This year she is with another team and there are four catchers again, but the HC won't let her catch and won't let her work out with the other catchers. I felt really bad for her.

I asked her if she was still playing with the other team would she still catch and she said yes, because the other HC trusted her and had confidence in her ( the team isn't together this year ) This really hurt me because she also thinks her new HC doesn't like her and doesn't have confidence in her. I assured her that wasn't the case. He has a different way of coaching.

Some might remember I mentioned that she was 12 and played up on a second year 14U A team. She played her heart for that team and showed the HC how well she could play with older girls. He would txt me after games and tell me how impressed he was with her base running and how aggressive she was at hitting. DD really misses him and his style of coaching. I txt him last night and told him about her quiting catching. And told him she missed him as a HC. I thanked him for how he trusted her and had confidence in her and let her catch when he had three other catchers.

Anyway, yesterday I took her catching gear our of her bag and put it away in the garage. That was very hard to do. We haven't gone to softball games for years without catching gear. Talked to DD about what she thought and she said she felt better that she didn't have to think about catching anymore and could concentrate on outfield and hitting. I'm cautiously looking forward to this weekend's tournament to see if this does have a positive affect on her game.

Apr 13, 2013
DD does not catch so she just has a small backpack she brings to the game with a couple bats, etc.

I could see how not bring her C equipment to the practices/ games might be like unloading a burden for her.

I wish her the best of luck in the OF.

Next year might be a new year if she wants to catch, let her decide and find a Team that needs her if she wants to. We need a C so send her our way next year.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Sometimes change is good. As long as she still wants to play, be happy for that. My dd lost her catching position this year to a rookie catcher. I moved her to short and focused more on her pitching instead. Best thing I could have done. Just be positive. Good things will come.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
High school team has a super star catcher. She rolls her ankle...her replacement was the third baseman who "gave up catching" at around 12yrs old because she wasn't any good at it....(her words) team never skipped a beat and she was wonderful behind the plate. No dropped balls, was like a wall on wild pitches, and even threw out a few steal attempts. Nature will take its course. If its meant to be it will be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA