DD plays 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
My DD plays 2nd and left field (baseball). She hates outfield & loves 2nd. Go figure. The coach told her he wants her to play left field this spring because she's so fast. To give her credit, she didn't argue. But she's not thrilled.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A versatile player is always more valuable to a team.

EDIT: At younger ages, OF is generally pretty boring because there is little action, and rare chances to make outs. At 12U and above, the story starts to change, as does importance of good OF'ers. That said, a player who can play both IF and OF, without sacrificing the quality if the defense, is definitely a bonus.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Looking ahead see if she can do some cross training at SS and CF. Those are good positions for recruiting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She was the only player that played every position but 2nd is her spot.

Lot of drama but ball hit to 2nd was an out.

Because she asked I tried to get her in the OF, so so.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

This is EXACTLY what I want in a 2B.

I know some people will try to hide a weak arm at 2B. I tend to want a strong arm. A strong arm allows for more recovery on scrambles and bobbles. Especially on the short side, I want the out.

Q - How old is your DD?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

We usually put our best infielder at 2B. We pitched most batters outside and had some flame thrower pitchers, so 2B probably make 60-65% of the plays on the infield. A 2B with range also still has a good chance to throw out the batter at 1B. A SS who takes more than two steps in either direction is probably not going to throw out the runner.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
We usually put our best infielder at 2B. We pitched most batters outside and had some flame thrower pitchers, so 2B probably make 60-65% of the plays on the infield. A 2B with range also still has a good chance to throw out the batter at 1B. A SS who takes more than two steps in either direction is probably not going to throw out the runner.

Don't forget on bunts 2nd base has to cover 1st base like a 1st baseman. My DD plays SS and 2nd base. Depends on the team(HS or Tourney). She prefers 2nd base and so do I.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
ĎD pitchs a little bit too.

0-0 going into the 6th, they stated buting.

They were bunting with 2 stikes. )

We lost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06