DD is back!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
29dad,

It's good to hear she's came back so strong. How did she fracture her back?

We THINK (we'll never be sure) that it was caused by countless hours of indoor pitching last winter. She complained of minor back pain last winter but we never had her checked out. Then she had her summer season, and it just never healed. Finally, after the season, we took her in and discovered two stress fractures. Needless to say that holding off on seeing the doctor was not a proud parenting moment for us. Still feel guilty.

Feb 16, 2010
We THINK (we'll never be sure) that it was caused by countless hours of indoor pitching last winter. She complained of minor back pain last winter but we never had her checked out. Then she had her summer season, and it just never healed. Finally, after the season, we took her in and discovered two stress fractures. Needless to say that holding off on seeing the doctor was not a proud parenting moment for us. Still feel guilty.

Dont beat yourself up about not going to the doctor sooner. Our 13 YO DD had the same injury last year and played a month or so with it before we knew what was wrong. She had been complaining about a sore back occaionally, but not enough to slow her down. Her pain radiated over to the side of her back instead of right on her spine, so we thought she just had a pulled muscle or something. She would rest a week or so then go back to playing and start hurting again. After taking her to the doctor and a lot of xrays, bone scans and CAT scans they found two stress fratures in her L5 vertebrea. The doctor told us it was not uncommon for girls that age to get that injury and not know it for quite some time. So don't feel too bad.

Glad to hear that your DD recovered too, and is doing well. We know the feeling. Our DD came back with a fire as well. She missed most all of last summer, but played better than ever in the fall. The long break actually did her a lot of good mentally, as she really missed playing and had a renewed passion when she finally got to play again. The only problem we have now is her mom cringes every time DD dives for a ball. Which is how we think she hurt her back in the beginning.

Good luck to your daughter. It's great to watch them play again aint it!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Same thing here and I have never felt so low in my life. 2 summers ago my DD started complaining about her pitching shoulder. I kept brushing it off as just sore and fatigue. She was our TB pitching mule and I kept pushing for the win, let her pitch when I should have sat her out. ( but she also wouldn't say " no, I can't go anymore " )

Finally she was getting slower and slower and I knew then there was a serious problem. Visits to ortho doctors and a dye test MRI showed a tear in the rotator cuff ligament. A dozen trips for plasma injections like the pro's use, countless hours of physical therapy, and a year off pitching is what it cost her. Seeing her get 6-7 injections each trip with a needle 4 inches long was the hardest, and knowing it might have been different if I had not pushed her so hard. I'm a big man, but after those trips I'd shed a tear.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
hhmmm.....my DD was sort of complaining of a sore shoulder. Just once or twice, the first time she came out of the game. We've taken a few months off, aside from pitching lessons, and it seems to have gotten better. Our first tournament was this past weekend and although she never complained, I did catch her rubbing it in the afternoon.

I guess I need to pay closer attention too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles