DD in a funk any suggestions to get her out of it.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I have a question to see if any of you have expirenced this and a way to navigate through it. DD has played softball since she was 8 and TB since she was 11. We have had some great coaches and some horrible one we recently finished up with a great team that I thought would stay together cause that is what we were told by the coaches. Now the team is having tryouts posting all spots open and told all the kids that they would have to earn their place back on the team when they have been told all season that they did not want to do tryouts. DD is or was one of the hardest workers on the team and I doubt they would truly cut her may change her position but not remove from team.Since I am not certain about this we have been going to other workouts and tryouts with other teams to see what they have to offer. DD has said that if she lost her spot to a player that does not put in the effort that she does (Daddy Ball) she would rather find another team to get the spot she wants. The problem I am having is that when we go to the field to practice she is completely out of it and could careless. I ask if she want to take the fall season off or quit all together and her answer is always no but attitude and hustle is not there the way it was before she was told she had to re-tryout with the most recent team. Any ideas on how to get her to shake out of it? She has been asked to come out to some tryouts to some really good high level teams but I dont want to take her is she is going to call it in. Hope someone can give me some new perpective.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
How old is she now? And has she had a solid break? As in 1-2 weeks off completely from SB? I know that tryouts are around the corner, but sometimes a little R&R goes a long way. Does she play another other sports? Maybe instead of practicing, do something off-the-wall fun with her to help her relax. Just a thought. :)

Oct 2, 2012
Maybe she isn't showing much motivation because she is ready to make a move to a new team. If she doesn't want to quit all together I think she's just not happy in her current circumstance. She's probably not feeling much love for a team that she feels is able to cut her as easily as to keep. Probably not feeling very valued.

Jun 24, 2013
I do not know if you are practicing by yourself or with another player. My DD always practices better when we invite someone to come with us.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have a question to see if any of you have expirenced this and a way to navigate through it. DD has played softball since she was 8 and TB since she was 11. We have had some great coaches and some horrible one we recently finished up with a great team that I thought would stay together cause that is what we were told by the coaches. Now the team is having tryouts posting all spots open and told all the kids that they would have to earn their place back on the team when they have been told all season that they did not want to do tryouts. DD is or was one of the hardest workers on the team and I doubt they would truly cut her may change her position but not remove from team.Since I am not certain about this we have been going to other workouts and tryouts with other teams to see what they have to offer. DD has said that if she lost her spot to a player that does not put in the effort that she does (Daddy Ball) she would rather find another team to get the spot she wants. The problem I am having is that when we go to the field to practice she is completely out of it and could careless. I ask if she want to take the fall season off or quit all together and her answer is always no but attitude and hustle is not there the way it was before she was told she had to re-tryout with the most recent team. Any ideas on how to get her to shake out of it? She has been asked to come out to some tryouts to some really good high level teams but I dont want to take her is she is going to call it in. Hope someone can give me some new perpective.

If your DD is going to go to try outs and 'call it in' then you won't have to make any decisions. The coach will.
Or it could be that practicing alone isn't fun and when it comes time to perform your DD will 'step it up'.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Mine went through the same thing, at about the same time, except when we asked her if she wanted to quit, she said yes. She immediately regretted it, but it was too late for that season. Sitting there and watching her friends play, re-ignited the fire for the game and she has grown by leaps and bounds in the seasons since. Also, 1-2 weeks is NOT a break!! They need 2-3 months!!

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Maybe she needs a confidence boost. She may find that when trying out for other teams, she shows pretty well and will get some offers. That could be just the validation she needs to realize that maybe this silly game is worth playing after all. Tryout season is hard on everyone who is looking to make a change; coaches and players alike. My DD has switched teams twice in the five years (going into her sixth year) that she has been playing Travel Ball; it has never been easy but both times the changes turned out to be very positive.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Probably good to get her to talk about how she feels about the situation, she may have to work through that emotion before she gets to the next step.

I'm guessing she's not motivated by anger,spite in this situation, maybe talk about the love of the game and forget all the jackhole things adults do to poison it.

Also agree that a few days fishing wouldn't hurt.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
They were told by the coaches that they didn't want to do tryouts. How did the team perform? Was there Drama by a couple of kids or parents? This may just be a way to rid the team of some bad apples. Believe me what outwardly looks good, behind the scenes, the coach is getting emails and texts as to why lil Suzy isn't pitching and she is the best on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00