DD has fractured 4th metacarpal head glove hand, redshirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
So less than a week before opening day, DD was diving for a ball in outfield at practice and fractured 4th metacarpal. Orthopedist says he’s never seen a break there on a softball player and it was just a freak accident. DD is likely taking a redshirt year, unless she has miraculous healing by her 3/1 follow up appointment. Obviously, she was devastated, but as a freshman biology and chemistry major playing d2 ball, she can relax a little. She has an extra year for school.

I’ll be making the trip to go with her to the 3/1 appointment. I don’t think she wants to be alone in case the news isn’t good. Break occurred 2/11, was set on 2/14, and she is still in significant pain.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
In my experience with complete break metacarpals, it's about 5 weeks to wearing a glove, 6 to play at 75% with some wrapping support. Those first couple weeks can be frustrating, but hang in there. At about 4 weeks, she'll begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel as the healing process accelerates more with each passing day. Another week or two after that and it was pretty well healed.

They're painful in the hands because of the seperation force when trying to throw, bat, etc. The good news is there's alot of blood flow to the metacarpals, so they heal relatively quickly.

She's officially a seasoned warrior! ;)

Chris

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
I made the drive from Georgia to WV this morning to go to DD’s doctor appointment. They are happy with healing. Doc says he doesnt think he could align it any better with surgery. She gets to tape fingers together now. She can run, but no workouts requiring grip. She has to come back in 2 weeks.

I’m pretty sure she is still going to redshirt.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD got good news today. She can resume practice activities, running and fielding. She can resume hitting when she can close fist without any soreness.

I still think she is going to redshirt as she has missed a quarter of the season and hasn’t practiced in 5 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd