DD got yelled at for hugging a teammate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2013
Just what the title says. 12U team. We were playing in a friendly game and our starting pitcher had a rough outing. Coach chirped at her a bit, and when DD and another teammate tried to cheer the pitcher up, and hugged her in the dugout, they got yelled at for "babying her."

The coach has been all over this girl all season long, and her confidence has been shot for awhile. She's playing up, she's having control issues, but she has some nice velocity. And its obvious to everyone but the coach that she doesn't respond well to the screaming.

Is this normal? Is this expected?

Sep 29, 2014
It's normal if you have one of THOSE coaches which there are more out there than we would all like.

I actually remember against a team we played a girl in tears after her dad/coach yelled at her and pulled her in the middle of an inning, great kid, we go on to win the game. Everyone knew he was just the exact opposite of what the girl needed as a coach... A couple weeks later we are playing them again and dad was not there because of business trip, the girl pitched great and hit some bombs we lost.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
12u rec ball this year. One of the choaches/mom for local team would yell from the dugout, 'just lost your cellphone' or 'you suck out there'. Not in a joking way as I have seen referred to on this site somewhere. I mean hateful. Can't imagine what home life is like. The competitive nature in all of us sometimes overshadows the real reason we coach.

Jun 11, 2013
No it's not normal for the coach to act like that. Tell DD that she acted like a teammate and that she did the right thing.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Nope not normal coach needs to be coached on how to be a real coach. He should be happy that her teammates had her back and were not gonna let her slump down. Sometimes getting a hug from a teammate can give the girl more confidence then anything a coach can thing of doing to try to get her back into it.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I EXPECT my girls to try and bring each other up. They are a team and as a coach, there is only so much motivation or cheering up I can do, but teammates can make all the difference.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp