DD got beat up last night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm going to ask a silly question here. What is "proper" if that style inhibits the catcher from catching the ball. The reason the other catchers are doing better is probably because they are using technique that enables them to catch the ball and protect themselves. Is there a moral victory here when your dd walks off and says, "I didn't catch many balls but I had great technique?"

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As a dad it is hard to simulate the spin of movement pitches, but you can simulate the speed by moving closer to the plate. I would also recommend getting with the pitchers and asking if your DD can catch their pitching lessons. Showing up 30 minutes early or staying 30 minutes after practice with a pitcher is also an option. Anything she can do to get extra reps.

Jun 24, 2011
I'm going to ask a silly question here. What is "proper" if that style inhibits the catcher from catching the ball. The reason the other catchers are doing better is probably because they are using technique that enables them to catch the ball and protect themselves. Is there a moral victory here when your dd walks off and says, "I didn't catch many balls but I had great technique?"

I was wondering the same thing, and from the pictures posted and OP's emphasis on runners-on stance, I'm assuming "proper" is what NECC teaches.

What I've learned is that NECC teaches good stuff. Others do, too.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I was wondering the same thing, and from the pictures posted and OP's emphasis on runners-on stance, I'm assuming "proper" is what NECC teaches.

What I've learned is that NECC teaches good stuff. Others do, too.

Having a wide and stable base that allows good lateral movement and the ability for the catcher to get their body and arm behind the ball is not just an NECC thing. Jen Schroeder and others teach the same thing. A narrow on-the-toes stance limits good receiving technique, and costs your pitchers strikes.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2009
Don't panic. It will be fine over time, but will require some work. Like someone else said, when you work with her, make sure to shorten your distance to her. It would be similar to the Barry Bonds hitting drill (in concept). You are trying to improve her reaction time. IMHO, I would encourage you to consider adjusting some of your beliefs. One of the things you want your DD to do is provide confidence to the pitcher. Her job/goal is tot make that pitcher look good. I know, the books and training say to not be in a no runner on stance.... However, there will be pitchers from now until the end of time who will struggle with control. She and you will need to figure out what that pitcher wants/needs. If that means she is receiving Pitcher A in a runner on stance because it makes her a more effective pitcher, then you do it. If not, then you don't. The goal is to make the pitcher look like a superstar. I believe a great catcher is almost like a great umpire. You almost don't realize they are there until after the game is over. Everyone can spot a bad/poor catcher, it takes a trained/professional eye to spot a good one.

Nov 23, 2014
Riseball is correct. It's really not so much the technique at the younger ages, as it is the mindset of blocking EVERYTHING. When my daughter takes lessons she works on blocking first and then throw downs. She goes into a game thinking she is going to not let anything get past her, and then try to keep EVERYTHING in front of her. At 12u she still deals with lots of balls in the dirt. Balls still go past, sometimes it's her not blocking correctly. Sometimes it's a pitch she can't block or catch. She just tries to keep the past balls to a minimum.

Jun 18, 2013
There is a difference between blocking and not being able to reach wild throws though. If the ball is low or within reach then my DD does really well because she uses the proper fundamental techniques. She is not afraid to use her body to keep them in front of her and she has quick enough hands to recover if the pitch is close enough that she can reach it. The biggest issues are with reaching pitches that are high enough that she needs to come out of her crouch position to get to them or far enough off the plate that she can't reach them from her crouch and with pitch recognition.

We are taking a family trip this weekend and going to try to keep it as softball free as possible just to give her a break. Tryouts and new team plus the new school year has been stressful so it is a good time to get a breather. I'll probably get her in the cage next week at our practice facility where we have a two wheel pitching machine so we can work on seeing the spin better and just get some serious reps in.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Remember that properly trained catchers at 10U will often demonstrate skill that is way beyond that of their pitchers. I train both pitchers and catchers and will work with catchers at most any age, but won't work with a pitcher until late 14U or early 16U. At 10U thru 14U the life of a catcher is very difficult and at times very frustrating. You have to find that balance of what will be effective without compromising the overall catching mechanics. It is typical for the art of proper receiving to be negated because you have a pitcher that could not hit the broadside of a barn. On the upside this is a great time to work on blocking skills as opportunities will be frequent. Your young catcher needs to keep throwing down regardless of the outcome. Eventually the SS will get there and some day they will catch the ball and apply the tag. Until then hopefully the CF is on her toes. :)

ETA - I love to use the JUG's for receiving reps. If they can catch a JUGS ball they can catch any spin from a pitcher.

Some good insights RB. IME, catching gets easier as the pitchers get better. If that isn't happening, it can be an indication that the mechanics need more work.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't panic. It will be fine over time, but will require some work. Like someone else said, when you work with her, make sure to shorten your distance to her. It would be similar to the Barry Bonds hitting drill (in concept). You are trying to improve her reaction time. IMHO, I would encourage you to consider adjusting some of your beliefs. One of the things you want your DD to do is provide confidence to the pitcher. Her job/goal is tot make that pitcher look good. I know, the books and training say to not be in a no runner on stance.... However, there will be pitchers from now until the end of time who will struggle with control. She and you will need to figure out what that pitcher wants/needs. If that means she is receiving Pitcher A in a runner on stance because it makes her a more effective pitcher, then you do it. If not, then you don't. The goal is to make the pitcher look like a superstar. I believe a great catcher is almost like a great umpire. You almost don't realize they are there until after the game is over. Everyone can spot a bad/poor catcher, it takes a trained/professional eye to spot a good one.

Someone knows a little something :cool:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There is a difference between blocking and not being able to reach wild throws though. If the ball is low or within reach then my DD does really well because she uses the proper fundamental techniques. She is not afraid to use her body to keep them in front of her and she has quick enough hands to recover if the pitch is close enough that she can reach it. The biggest issues are with reaching pitches that are high enough that she needs to come out of her crouch position to get to them or far enough off the plate that she can't reach them from her crouch and with pitch recognition.

We are taking a family trip this weekend and going to try to keep it as softball free as possible just to give her a break. Tryouts and new team plus the new school year has been stressful so it is a good time to get a breather. I'll probably get her in the cage next week at our practice facility where we have a two wheel pitching machine so we can work on seeing the spin better and just get some serious reps in.

A catcher's mindset should be that nothing gets by them - whether bounced, wide, or high. In real life, some balls will get by.

My thoughts about Q's situation is that if DD isn't getting to the high pitches and the other catchers are having the same issue, then it realy isn't a catcher issue; however, if the other catchers are getting the high pitch and DD isn't, then DD may be misunderstanding or incorrectly implementing the NECC's no runner's on stance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00