DD getting worse at hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2009
Can we see some video? We'll give you an unbiased view.

I wish I could figure that out! I have tried before to put video of her pitching on here, and just got frustrated. Let me say this. Last fall our local academy purchased the right veiw pro (I think that is what it is called) and some guy came out to hold a clinic and show the academy owner how to use it. They were ooohhing and aahhing over her swing. All the "lines" were correct, her stride was good, separation could improve a bit, hips rotating, connection was in line, etc. For good ole softballmama, it was priceless! I was so proud of her and pleased with the instruction she received. (all I had to do when coaching was to reinforce what they were teaching her) We played fall ball and she batted so well. If you saw her now you would say huh ???

My main reason for asking the question was I wondered if it was possible to do more harm than good. I just don't have enough experience to know if staying on the team until the end of the year is the right thing. We continue her lessons at the academy, but that style is not embraced by all the coaches on the field and DD ends up not doing any justice to either method. She is so confused. Even though she understands all this, she still wants to keep her commitment to the team.

Feb 9, 2009
you know, I coach 10U and have 2 girls on my team who have HORRIBLE style. But they can crush the ball.

I let them do their thing...

May 25, 2010
I wish I could figure that out! I have tried before to put video of her pitching on here, and just got frustrated. Let me say this. Last fall our local academy purchased the right veiw pro (I think that is what it is called) and some guy came out to hold a clinic and show the academy owner how to use it. They were ooohhing and aahhing over her swing. All the "lines" were correct, her stride was good, separation could improve a bit, hips rotating, connection was in line, etc. For good ole softballmama, it was priceless! I was so proud of her and pleased with the instruction she received. (all I had to do when coaching was to reinforce what they were teaching her) We played fall ball and she batted so well. If you saw her now you would say huh ???

My main reason for asking the question was I wondered if it was possible to do more harm than good. I just don't have enough experience to know if staying on the team until the end of the year is the right thing. We continue her lessons at the academy, but that style is not embraced by all the coaches on the field and DD ends up not doing any justice to either method. She is so confused. Even though she understands all this, she still wants to keep her commitment to the team.

Just one crazy dad's opinion...

Unless there's a severe personality conflict and you feel your child is being abused in some way, she finishes the season she started, even though it's not going as well as either of you had hoped.

There are golden girls out there, but I think it's unrealistic to expect that even the best players will have sailed through every single year of competitive softball without an occasional hiccup.

Your daughter is probably still growing and when that happens, it's perfectly normal for a young athlete to take some time to become accustomed to their new body.

As for the differences in styles, during practices, my DD is to follow the instructions of whatever coach she has at the time. In game, however, she is to use what works and she knows not to swing at junk, regardless of what her rec coach says. ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414