DD experiencing finger pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
About a week ago DD complained about pain in the index finger of her catching hand. I took a look at it and she indicated the pain seemed to be coming from the first joint area (end of finger) I had her ice it and she didn't mention it until Satuday after catching the first game. She sat the second game but hit. After her last at bat she waves me over and tells me she can't play anymore as her hand hurts to much (not a crybaby). Seems the pain is now from the original area and spread down into the back of the hand. She sat out the next game and did not bat and started icing it and took advil. Sunday she played OF and batted with some slight discomfort during her last at bat in the second game.

I suspect some type of tendonitus based on the length of the affected area. She's rested it and continued the ice and advil and states it is starting to feel better.

Anyone experience this type of issue with their catcher or DD?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
With the pain in the back of the hand, I'm not sure that it sounds like a bruise, which is very common for the index finger and thumb region due to repeated impact. I used to get these and they lasted until the season was over. Xprotex makes a catcher's glove (like a batting glove) that has padding that protects the impact areas.

I wouldn't wait too long to see a doc if there's continued pain in the back of the hand.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I went and picked up a Palmguard inner glove last night for additional padding.

I wondered if it was ergonomical, meaning she was doing something mechanical that was causing the issue. Squeezing to hard holding the glove still when selling the pitch or something.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I went and picked up a Palmguard inner glove last night for additional padding.

I wondered if it was ergonomical, meaning she was doing something mechanical that was causing the issue. Squeezing to hard holding the glove still when selling the pitch or something.

Ergo wise, the only strain I can think of would be if she's cocking her wrist back so that the back of her hand becomes perpendicular to her forearm in an attempt to give the pitcher a bigger target to aim for, but I wouldn't think that would involve index finger pain unless she's not relaxing the hand prior to receiving the ball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I watched her warm up yesterday with her usual partner who throws very hard. I noticed she holds her glove in a very relaxed manner which allows her wrist to snap back upon recieving the ball. I wonder if that could have something to do with it. She said the palmguard helped a lot.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
As pitchers get older and start throwing harder, or with more spin, there comes a point where an inner padded glove is no longer a luxury. But it seems strange that a bruised finger would radiate pain to the back of the hand. Tendonitis in the wrist could maybe radiate, but that wouldn't cause pain in the finger. Especially if there is any swelling of the finger I would suggest seeing a doctor.

Maybe she jammed her finger (since you say it's the finger tip) doing something else than catching, which could have caused a fraction. Contrary to popular opinion, most people can move a broken finger just fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06