DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Well BatDragOn ... perhaps you'll need to change your handle to BatDragOff.

Congratulations on the improvement.

Not that this is the finished product mind you ... but I'd like you to share what she was working on to make these changes and what you feel may have helped the most.

Thank you FFS. I appreciate your help/insight. It's not over yet. I need to get that swing when a pitch is thrown. She took about 100 cuts last night on the bag and they all looked like the one in the video. Next I am going to have her hitting a ball off of a tee and get a video of it. After she gets comfortable with that soft toss & then long toss.

In regards to what I had her change:

Mentally, I had her focus on the queue's "turn the barrel to contact with hands" as you mentioned, and to "keep her back elbow behind her hands".

Physically, I made sure at toe touch her elbow was moving back and up. This back/upward movement peaks at toe touch. This seemed to lock/connect her hands momentarily with her shoulders and prevented her hands from dropping prematurely. When the elbow is going up, the hands can't go down until the back elbow is below the hands.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the next phase (tee/soft toss).

Oct 26, 2012
Great work. But move the bag back in the stance the same way you'd move the tee back. Have her work her hands *behind* her rear hip, not at or in front...you are still teaching her to move to a contact point that is too far out in front. Do that next and see what it gets you. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Thanks RichK. Yes, I have been putting the bag a little further out because sometimes she seems to roll her wrists at contact. I have been wanting her to learn to keep the bat on plane as long as possible. I will move the bag deeper and see how her swing looks then. Also, I will have hit the bag in different locations and see the bat drag is gone on those swings as well as Shawn mentioned.

Sep 17, 2009
I get it...different locations is a good idea. Just keep working her contact point deeper and deeper, whether on tee swings, bag swings or even slow-mo or stop swings. And have her figure out how to work her hands to get to that contact point.

Someone on another site (sorry I can't find reference) recommended moving the tee up and back in the stance and (in a hitting tunnel) trying to reach the goal of hitting the back wall with line drives regardless of tee position. I think it would also be interesting to do high-low pitches as well.

I am going to try that this winter with our team as a step between tee work and front-toss work, ie, purposeful tee work (that they can do by themselves if they'd like/we need them to) with a clear goal that to reach they'll need to learn how to work their body/swing/hands.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you FFS. I appreciate your help/insight. It's not over yet. I need to get that swing when a pitch is thrown. She took about 100 cuts last night on the bag and they all looked like the one in the video. Next I am going to have her hitting a ball off of a tee and get a video of it. After she gets comfortable with that soft toss & then long toss.

In regards to what I had her change:

Mentally, I had her focus on the queue's "turn the barrel to contact with hands" as you mentioned, and to "keep her back elbow behind her hands".

Physically, I made sure at toe touch her elbow was moving back and up. This back/upward movement peaks at toe touch. This seemed to lock/connect her hands momentarily with her shoulders and prevented her hands from dropping prematurely. When the elbow is going up, the hands can't go down until the back elbow is below the hands.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the next phase (tee/soft toss).

Congratulations again.

I like your progression. You may see a bit of challenge when you begin head-on soft-toss. Dealing with a ball coming at her may present a challenge. What you termed "elbow was moving back and up" is what some of us refer to as "stretch" ... and you are dead on correct that building stretch will prevent the hands from prematurely dropping. Later, when your daughter is ready, that continued building of 'stretch' will become hugely important to launching the barrel.

Well done! More to do ... but tackle this goal first. Proceed to head-on soft-toss and get this issue behind you. Complete the mission of destroying the dragon.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Going off of gif swing. Hips pushing barrel into contact. We want the hips pulling barrel into contact. Hips before hands/arms. Next step is teaching seperation/stretch. Good progress.

I'm starting to think like FFS. Thats is a good thing.:cool:

May 31, 2012
Batdragon. My DD and I have been along for the ride with you and your dd. I've been stalking this post daily and each afternoon doing tee work focusing on getting rid of the drag. I call the move with the back elbow the cabrera move. The kid likes it. Thanks to all guys for the input and help. If I was smarter than my smart phone I would post a video.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm sure your DD can show you how to upload on Youtube. The kids know how to do that stuff and someone on her can explain how to post on the site.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Batdragon. My DD and I have been along for the ride with you and your dd. I've been stalking this post daily and each afternoon doing tee work focusing on getting rid of the drag. I call the move with the back elbow the cabrera move. The kid likes it. Thanks to all guys for the input and help. If I was smarter than my smart phone I would post a video.

I know on the bottom of each video you record on iphones one of the 3 available options is "youtube". So you just have to go to youtube and register. Then when you click the youtube button on the video it asks for your email or youtube user name and vavoom it posts to youtube.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207