DD and her hitting coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Since there has been mention of "goals" then the real goal, imo, is that you should get your dd to the point that they don't need you or any other coach around when things go bad. If they have some system of evaluating their swing as they progress and if they understand the "whys" as to what you are doing with them while they learn then they should have the capacity to fix themselves. JMHO!

Jul 21, 2015
Girls all hit different, but if it's working, why fix it?

I think it's natural for parents to feel this way. However, most youth coaches that care about their players want them to get better now, so they can be successful later as well. Many younger girls who are good athletes with good hand eye coordination can hit the ball consistently, oftentimes hard, even with horrible mechanics. However, they're going to to struggle as they move up and face better pitching and defense. I'm not saying this is what is happening in your case, just throwing it out there.

Dec 13, 2014
Not to be rude but didn't any of you dads play baseball. Did you have a hitting coach when you were kids? I know I didn't . Get a tee, a net, golf wiffles, beans, and get in your backyard and get to work. Do your girls need fielding coaches because you are too lazy to hit them grounders.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not to be rude but didn't any of you dads play baseball. Did you have a hitting coach when you were kids? I know I didn't . Get a tee, a net, golf wiffles, beans, and get in your backyard and get to work. Do your girls need fielding coaches because you are too lazy to hit them grounders.

This will piss you off...

My DD is working with a running coach.

Dec 13, 2014

Send her to me for $50 an hour and I will show her how to put the right foot in front of the left and how to take a left turn. How many of you out there if your DD was getting a B and thought she could get a B+ would hire a tutor. That's what I thought.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Send her to me for $50 an hour and I will show her how to put the right foot in front of the left and how to take a left turn. How many of you out there if your DD was getting a B and thought she could get a B+ would hire a tutor. That's what I thought.

She can make a B+ without a tutor. Hitting is more difficult.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Eric, I don't know if you have thought of this but with BB, we asked if she could work with the track team from time to time over the summer and fall when they did their off season work. Naturally, I am a teacher at the HS and so, this might have influenced his decision some but he was more than willing to have another athlete show up for workouts. In our school's "open gym" philosophy, head coaches are encouraged to have multiple sports athletes workout whenever anyone has an open gym. For my baseball open gyms, I had track players show up all the time.

Our Middle School is out in the middle of nowhere and so, it would be hard to get any child out the school to work with those coaches but I do know that they also would welcome anyone when they work out.

Edited to add:

Per the tutor comment, this is actually a great idea. We paid to have this done for my child. Sure, I could have done most of it but the reason was a much bigger one. We wanted BB to understand what a tutor can offer and what a college setting would be like before she went to college. Her tutoring involved prep for the ACT and Trig. I confess that I would have been useless for Trig. IMO, it further taught BB discipline.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I played baseball as a kid and fastpitch later in life and will be the first to admit that due to advances in technology, training, and diet the game is played at a much higher level now. I knew some MLB players back in the day who worked construction or unloaded trucks in the off season to stay in shape. Now players work with a cadre of personal trainers, dietitians, etc. How we did it back in the day is irrelevant.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA