DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I didn't know that. THANKS!

Not sure but, the source of the gif was from Baseball rebellion and I know I have had problems in the past with their gifs. I don't think they like 'sharing'. It seems it's OK for BBR to borrow other sites info and pass it off as an original idea though.

Aug 26, 2015
I'd be willing to bet that most of the pics and videos that people can't see is directly connected to whether or not the user has signed up for the 8 million SB/BB threads the rest of you nuts are signed up for. BTW, can I get that list of 8 million sites so I can become a nut, too?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not sure but, the source of the gif was from Baseball rebellion and I know I have had problems in the past with their gifs. I don't think they like 'sharing'. It seems it's OK for BBR to borrow other sites info and pass it off as an original idea though.

BBR????? (extra ? needed for post)

Edited to add:

Ok, so went to their site. I've never been to that site.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I continue to see the leveling issue we call DBSF all over the place. Both my girls do it, many teammates/opponents do it, many DFP DDs do it.

Some claim it is an easy thing to correct, but I still have not seen a player actually correct it in real life or on video on this site. It is really puzzling to me. I get really frustrated because it seems so easy to fix. I disagree with others about why it is important to fix. I think it needs to be fixed for better zone coverage (try to hit a low inside strike with this pattern and you are dead meat), many other say it needs to be fixed to be able to handle fast pitching while adjusting to offspeed. My real world experience tells me that girls with this pattern can hold their own with speed but are vulnerable to good placement. I know others are working through the same issue so I wanted to see if there are better results if we share specific info about what we have tried, maybe someone even has the magic fix and can post video showing that it is possible to fix (after two years I am beginning to have my doubts).

I called this an FFF thread and that means (fiveframefree), but more generally, I am hoping we can avoid the whole "post a clip of Miggy and say do this" part of most threads, I think people posting real world video clips of their students and/or DDs is so much more helpful. That is why it is in the practical forum.

Here is some background....DD in all stars n the summer of 2014

[video]https://youtu.be/JFLu3dAmc9w[/video]

Swing from a couple of weeks back

[video]https://youtu.be/Uj3XL3clZtc[/video]

Between these two points (that are basically identical) we have done at least 100 hours of hitting work with the majority of focus on trying to come up with the magic elixer to get to this in games.

We have gotten to the point where she can do front toss and get her swing to where we want it leveling wise

[video]https://youtu.be/53oIHAc3V9U[/video]

But it just does not show up in games.

This is not really aimed at trying to fix my kid specifically, it is aimed at creating a little space here where the folks who are working on this now can maybe share ideas with some help from folks who have fixed it before (if you exist :))

I was even thinking of having a competition between our daughters so they had some extra motivation to fix it, I know that Stick/Eric/Me at least have kids that are the same age and are trying to fix it, maybe if all the dads who are currently working on this got together and ponied up 10 bucks each then the kitty would be big enough to motivate the rugrats to fix it. I'll try anything at this point as you will see below.

What we are working on today will be golf swings, I will have her hitting wiffle balls off the ground with a wedge. The idea here is that low/inside location cannot be gotten to with a drop and drag swing. One of the things we do often during front toss when she is dropping is I will throw low and inside over and over again until she can hit one hard up the middle. This tells me she has the feeling of turning the barrel more. When she is dropping and dragging she is not capable of hitting a low inside pitch in fair territory, the swing path created means that she will coming across her body and hitting the ball towards the third base dugout. More than any advice I have been given about this issue, that one thing, working low and in is the thing that seems to install the feeling for her to be able to take some front toss cuts without dropping (it quickly comes back though). It is too hot to work during the day so we will do it at dusk and I will post a clip.

Anyone else starting to get "creative" in an attempt to fix this?

Is it gone yet? I started with a young player last night, classic DBSF with bat drag, did not address as of yet, but will. we just worked on rear hip coil and SNF 45. My turn to fix this.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Is it gone yet? I started with a young player last night, classic DBSF with bat drag, did not address as of yet, but will. we just worked on rear hip coil and SNF 45. My turn to fix this.

nope...still there. She is getting a lot better at recognizing it and it is getting more sporadic but it is definitely still something she has to contend with. I guess I should say they, because both kids do it but since older sis is a pitcher I am not as focused on her hitting.

we just finished up today's work so I have three hits to post.

hit 1

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
don't worry- they are tennis balls :) 58 mph tennis balls, but still not concussion level stuff....she got her revenge. love the walk off...trying to teach her a Joey Bats bat flip too. This is an outside pitch that she hit about a mile to what would be the right center gap. What I like here is how the Tewks Go drill is helping her timing and sequence. She still has a little drop in there that can be improved but in this swing it is more a part of the go ala Pujols than it is part of the load. I like how she is launching into her heel plant here. In those previous game swings she was stepping-planting-then swinging. I also like her extension going more away from her body on this outside pitch.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
and here is an inside pitch from the same session...she is late on it (58 mph from 40 feet). but I still like the sequence and what the slow and early is doing for her.

I hope one day she appreciates her sister's help. Being able to hit live BP from a good pitcher is invaluable.

Nov 5, 2014
Some front toss swings from today. Coach had her driving the back knee up after swing trying to take out the backward lean she has been getting.[video]https://youtu.be/xukoAPoLWgQ[/video]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying