DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't disagree with what you see...not sure it's the tee though...it could be, I'll try and get some face on video tomorrow to confirm...

I would say this:

Sequence is completely different....let's forget what the barrel is doing for a minute...just watch her hands...in both cases her hands move prematurely but they also move differently...

On the left - I moved her hands to her sternum to try and create some time for overlap to develop. She moves out - her hands never get outside her rear leg...she has "walked away" from her hands. She gets to attack posture without me saying a word about it...

Fast forward to the clip in the red...

She yanks her hands back...her hands go waaaay down and back as she feels like she's coiling into her hip and that causes her front shoulder to raise and then moves out...I'd have to look at my notes at home but that might have been me trying to get her to lead out with her shoulder down...CP

Sorry Chris. My post was not in regards to her sequence. More a posture thing, but I guess that could impact sequence in a way. IMO, it is very common for hitters to utilize different mechanics when using a tee vs a moving object.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Sorry Chris. My post was not in regards to her sequence. More a posture thing, but I guess that could impact sequence in a way. IMO, it is very common for hitters to utilize different mechanics when using a tee vs a moving object.

No need to apologize...I'm now questioning whether the tee or front toss is effecting her sequence...I'll take a looksy tomorrow...CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No need to apologize...I'm now questioning whether the tee or front toss is effecting her sequence...I'll take a looksy tomorrow...CP

Just my personal opinion mind you... Practicing with a tee is fine, but when I try to analyze my DD's mechanics, I only use swings against a moving target.

You and I will both have a great opportunity to work on sequence in the not too distant future. Just have her help you shovel snow. Have her see how far she can throw the snow.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It is 'Level THEN Swing' instead of 'Level AND Swing'. The barrel should be leveled as it is in the process of being swung.
Leveling/Flattening AND Swing.
Yes...
The barrel should be leveled as it is in the process of being swung
Yep....
The barrel should be leveling/flattening as it is in the process of being swung.
Just 'throwing' out another cue I just read from T.W. Talked about Flattening'.

Last edited:

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
I would use the cue 'finish your swing' with my DD.
I also liked the Attack Oppo Drill. Have to hit 'out from' ones body on this drill.

Do you have a link to this drill?

Do you guys like the throw the bat drill? I found that it causes over rotating shoulders? How are you policing this with this drill?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you have a link to this drill?

Do you guys like the throw the bat drill? I found that it causes over rotating shoulders? How are you policing this with this drill?

Thanks

I've found that throwing bats helps avoid over rotation of the upper body into impact.

Here Doc Yeager discusses the issue of over rotating the upper body ....

More ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2pYjQiErs

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you guys like the throw the bat drill?
Yes.
I found that it causes over rotating shoulders?
Right handed batter should be throwing the bat towards where the 2nd baseman would stand.
Attack Oppo Drill.
5vwy36.gif

Set the ball up for an outside pitch on a tee.
BustosOutFrom1.gif

Jul 23, 2014
I'm no where near as smart about a high level swing as most of you but you can have bat drag without dumping the barrel so I'm not sure I'd simplify what JJ started this thread for as just bat drag. Wouldn't the hands need to be addressed for the barrel dumpers?

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Tons O' gifs...

We had been doing lots of dry tee swings and talking about where her hands\barrel were comfortable...I went to hit the head and found this on the camera:

2pri9l4.gif

Would she not benefit greatly from doing HIGH tee work swings? That way she gets immediate feedback when she lowers her hands or drops her barrel. My DD had a huge bat dump and bat drag issues and the high tee coupled with me constantly telling her to get her hands above the ball made huge improvements.

6 months ago she was no where near this position. Her back elbow was running even with her hands and the barrel was not stacked.

44759926ba5f9a242f2f60a2ae844fdb.jpg

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
While I will no longer post about hitting in these forums, I do want to say that I am disappointed that my attempt to carve out area on the board for real word advice has failed. All I was trying to do with this thread was this (which comes from the rules sticky on the practical hitting forum)...

This forum is designed for coaches and parents to seek out practical, experience-based advice for specific hitting issues. It is NOT the place to discuss hitting theory, or to provide a technical dissection of what makes a good swing. ANY posts along those lines will be deleted regardless of merit.

On this forum, video is limited to those of players you work with directly, devices you (or your coach) make, drills you personally run. No video of MLB or high-level softball hitters is to be used here.

If you want to start a technical discussion about a thread on this forum, you may cut and paste the key post(s) and start a new thread in the technical hitting forum. There you may post all the professional video you want. You may also leave a pointer on this forum to let those who are interested in such technical discussion know that it is taking place on the other hitting forum.

Again, this forum is for coaches and parents to share their first-hand knowledge and exchange ideas about things they have implemented and that have worked for them with actual hitters. No quoting of outside experts is allowed, unless your daughter or son has worked with that expert. And even then, the discussion needs to be limited to what your daughter or son was told, not what is in that expert's DVD or book.
many of you have stayed within this practical framework. Others have decided to just blow through the intent of the forum and the thread and go back to the "miggy does this" stuff. There is value in this, that is why there is a technical hitting section. There is also value in seeing all the work someone like CP is doing and the actual clips of his kid and discussion that is not going back and forth about semantics but just trying to help with real world examples. I hope the moderators are able to re-establish this line and hold true to the original rules so that both perspectives have a place for discussion without every thread becoming the same thing after a while. I for one very much value this and would love to participate in such a forum if it existed.

peace all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug