DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've really struggled trying to stay out of this thread after my initial posts. There is extreme irony in this thread as I read it. In moderating another site, members who have posted here have attacked me personally for allowing other posters and one specifically to post on those sites. Yet, gets upset with JJ. Look, I don't agree that any posters should be asked to not participate in a discussion but understand that FFS and JJ are at odds due to some other discussions. If any of you don't want me to participate in their thread, just say so and I'm out. NOW asking me to stay out of every thread then ... LOL

Per the discussion, RD and FFS find no value in the posts I put up about what my dd did. Maybe their dd's did the drill wrong and mine did it right. Maybe my dd did it wrong and their dd's did it right. :cool: Who knows. Every drill has the potential to be both. FFS, RD's and my dd are not on the same path. They don't have the same experiences. They don't have the same foundations. So, I guess what I am saying for all members is that FFS, RD, ... all have great ideas and so, try them. If you need clarification, ask them. Their ideas may or may not work for you. If not, try something else. Good discussion can only help all of us. Times when we dislike a contributor or contributions also helps us. I was once told that I was ruining dads all across this nation because of my actions. I would hope that those dads have the ability to reason and to discern good information from bad.

Good luck to everyone on their journeys. (Note my signature now and know that I am not and never have been an expert.)

Darrell

CB, good input.

FYI ... regarding the bold above ... I don't ever recall making such a statement. Heck, I don't ever recall having such a thought. I've enjoyed the experiences you shared.

Not long ago you shared some coaching experiences ... thought you did a great job of helping those that aren't coaches better see the other side of the equation. Keep sharing.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
FFS, I should have written about what we did with the barrel and the discussion in this thread. As you already know, I did share video of BB all the way through with you because I do value opinions that differ from mine. You, Chappy, Mud, BM, MarkH, JJA, Bluedog, ... and a few others who I apologize for leaving their names out all had a significant role in my dd's journey along with noted gurus who befriended us along the way.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm done with the hitting forums here. I saw that a bunch of folks I actually respect signed up for noons forum. I'll give that a whirl and see if it is more constructive for hitting talk. Put another notch on your monitor FFS. You win.

The at-bat that you showed of your daughter's current swing, which included three opportunities to see a "leveling issue", did not show signs of a "leveling issue".

That doesn't mean that you don't have data suggesting that a "leveling issue" is there, just that it wasn't observed in these three occurrences. The comment is meant to serve as a possible check on your end and perhaps avoid needless chasing on you & your daughter's end ... which for some, can be a frustrating experience. In the end, it's about the good of your daughter, and the daughter's of parents with similar concerns.

Was my addition to the thread valid?

Ash_HR.gif

Ps: Thx for picking my .gif of Brooke over the others in this thread. Shows some growth on your part...:cool:

PC_2.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Added back her normal lower body action for her with attempting to walk away from her hands a little...baby steps...

358nk2o.gif

CP

A little more separation/walking away from the hands and your DD will have the makings of a good swing. When I see your DD's hands going forward they should have kept continuing to keep loading. Then the 'turn the barrel to the ball' would have been behind the 'corner' instead of way in front. At the end I get the 'feeling' of a push into contact. Thanks for sharing. Again JMHO as a dad.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, please go back to her previous swing..

Tom,

For now I'm staying here. At her age and strength level she simply cannot execute cat\cow\cat without flattening the barrel. I'm not arguing with you but it is simply too frustrating for her to suck so badly trying to use her core to control the swing. Even if she flushed one, she was not hitting it out of the infield.

For the time being we need to stay in the frontal plane until she can become more "body\barrel aware" and get stronger.

CP

May 3, 2014
Added back her normal lower body action for her with attempting to walk away from her hands a little...baby steps...

358nk2o.gif

CP

Chris - the only thing I would suggest (since you are committed to this swing) is to get Amelia to stop her head from coming forward as soon as her front foot plants. Need the core to do that - so maybe she backs into learning how to use her core to control movements.

Sep 2, 2013
Tom,

For now I'm staying here. At her age and strength level she simply cannot execute cat\cow\cat without flattening the barrel. I'm not arguing with you but it is simply too frustrating for her to suck so badly trying to use her core to control the swing. Even if she flushed one, she was not hitting it out of the infield.

For the time being we need to stay in the frontal plane until she can become more "body\barrel aware" and get stronger.

CP

Timing the ball with the core works great for bp or up to certain velo's. In baseball at the upper levels you better be timing the ball with your hands. Core actions need to be ingrained in the swing without focusing on the move. Game is too fast, time with the hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877