DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Side track to the OP but fitting for this portion of the post.
I have a 29-4 wood bat. Is it too short if she is now using a 31-21 bat? The 29 weighs 25 and the game bat weighs 23.5 oz. I'm hoping to be able to use it.

Should be fine - at least to start with...the real difference IMO is in the balance of the bat...easier to "feel" the barrel with the wooden bat...

We started with the wooden bat I used as an 11 YO...that one is 28"/27oz...I just watched the closeout sites for a "deal" before buying the 31"

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Yes ... looking for an early & slow loading of the rear leg, followed by a healthy sequence with what is being referred to as 'overlap'. Get her swinging wood and it's possible that she will develop faster.

I won't even post the video...UGGGGGLY LOL

No early and slow on front toss...tee work was fine but as soon as timing was added to the equation things went south...we'll keep at it..CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
So I tortured myself and re-watched in slo-mo...

A few issues jumped out at me...

1st - I was not giving her enough time in between pitches

2nd - This WILL be good If I go a bit more slowly. She will really need to focus on the her front side resistance and hand and lead arm usage. The extra weight is just enough to make her breakdown.

3rd - Because of the extra weight it is interesting seeing her trying different things to generate some bat speed...

The journey continues...CP

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So I tortured myself and re-watched in slo-mo...

A few issues jumped out at me...

1st - I was not giving her enough time in between pitches

2nd - This WILL be good If I go a bit more slowly. She will really need to focus on the her front side resistance and hand and lead arm usage. The extra weight is just enough to make her breakdown.

3rd - Because of the extra weight it is interesting seeing her trying different things to generate some bat speed...

The journey continues...CP

Chris, that is one of the biggest issues with bp.. Especially in a team practice where it's assembly line hitting.. Rushing hitters is a sequence killer.

Also once the extra weight is added to the bat she needs to engage/feel the barrel with her hands and body so they're working together to whip the bat.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, that is one of the biggest issues with bp.. Especially in a team practice where it's assembly line hitting.. Rushing hitters is a sequence killer.

This is why I don't run my team batting practices this way...2 girls every 30 minutes come to hit...

I know better than this...not sure why I was rushing...CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Also once the extra weight is added to the bat she needs to engage/feel the barrel with her hands and body so they're working together to whip the bat.

It is important to 'feel' the bat even with these ultra light bats. I was working on that with several players last weekend. Swinging wood makes it an easier teach IMO.

Nov 5, 2014
UH OH....I was showing the girls some swings where the batter uses a pretty big leg kick and showed this one....DD is looking at me sideways about her barrel dropping now...

This highlights my confusion. Over the last 2 days I read all 62 pages of this thread. There is a lot of great information in here but after all if this reading I am still not very good at looking at a swing and deciding if it exhibits the negative DBSF characteristics or not. I started a thread because I think my DD has some of these characteristics in her swinghttp://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/26488-swing-feedback.html

Eric F was nice enough to give me some feedback and suggestions and at the time I thought I could see what he was pointing out but when I looked at video from behind I see more bat angle and shoulder tilt than I expected. Something is definitely off with the swing I am just having a tough time seeing it and therefore I have difficulty communicating it to her. Here is a picture at contact showing the angles I mentioned Screenshot_20151216-225523.jpg

Any insights are appreciated as I feel clueless.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I started a thread because I think my DD has some of these characteristics in her swingSwing Feedback
Your DD does have DBSF characteristics/level to the ball and swing.
9444d1450325230-dbsfa-drop-barrel-swing-flat-anonymous-fff-thread-screenshot_20151216-225523.jpg

Dbsf-drop-barrel-swing-flat happens before the above pics. That is the part of the swing that you should be focusing on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff