Daughter Uninterested in other sports at HS level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If she's a good softball player, maybe she should focus on that. I know ball players who also played basketball and track in HS, and they NEVER got a break. I can name at least two not even old enough to legally drink a beer who already show signs of having some significant physical issues that will affect them later in life. Breaks for athletes are important. Some running and weights in the off-season will do what's required to stay in shape.

Although TB in So Cal is pretty much year-round, during our brief down times, my DD's activities are letting her body recover and going to the park to hit bombs.

May 21, 2015
South
I am a little confused. Are we talking about high school basketball? Where I'm from high school basketball practice has begun. I always told my daughter that you are committing for a season at a time. No quitting after that commitment is made.

Feb 1, 2021
I don't think teenagers regret anything. Its just the teenage mindset.

I wouldn't worry too much about sitting out a season. For my DD, if you didn't play a winter sport you had 'volunteer but attendance will be taken' off-season softball workouts.

While my DD had no problem wanting to find sports to play, my DS is a soccer player and has decided to transfer to our tiny local school which doesn't even have the sport. Had he been my oldest I would have worried just like you. After going thru my DD first and seeing how she worked thru the off-seasons, I have learned he will be fine either way.

Sep 28, 2021
If she's a good softball player, maybe she should focus on that. I know ball players who also played basketball and track in HS, and they NEVER got a break. I can name at least two not even old enough to legally drink a beer who already show signs of having some significant physical issues that will affect them later in life. Breaks for athletes are important. Some running and weights in the off-season will do what's required to stay in shape.
I think this may be most of it.....between school ball and travel she has been non stop for a couple of years.

Sep 28, 2021
I am a little confused. Are we talking about high school basketball? Where I'm from high school basketball practice has begun. I always told my daughter that you are committing for a season at a time. No quitting after that commitment is made.
yes high school...we are still in softball, playing districts this week, so almost over......

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Although TB in So Cal is pretty much year-round, during our brief down times, my DD's activities are letting her body recover and going to the park to hit bombs.

Going to the ballpark to take some swings is therapeutic even for old guys.

It's the constant throwing and stress on knees/ankles/hips that screws kids up physically. If the kid is a bit bigger, sports such as basketball are hell on the joints.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I always told my daughter that you are committing for a season at a time. No quitting after that commitment is made.

I used to have that opinion. Then we came across a situation where forcing my DD to stay with a team would have crushed her desire to play completely. Resigning from that team, taking a break for a few months, and changing her path in the sport made a world of difference. Currently, she loves the game more than she has in a very long time, and is excited about playing college ball next year. My point...Sometimes being flexible is the right answer.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

In my DD's case...

Basketball: Open gyms started in July and went through August. Unofficial practices occurred from September through November. Actual official practice did not start until December. Games started late December and carried into February. Playoffs could carry into early March.

Softball: Open gyms started in early January. Official practice started in early March. Games started late March (weather...) and carried into May. They "unofficially" played in a fall ball rec league from mid-August to mid-October.

As you can see, there is a lot of overlap between the sports, making full participation in both impossible.

Apr 20, 2015
You can't play high school sports you don't love. Its a huge time commitment. Let her stop playing but she has to commit to cross training in some way to keep her other muscles healthy. My DD is a sophomore. Played 3 varsity sports as a freshman. Soccer, bball and softball. It is incredibly time consuming. Especially when continuing with hitting and softball year round. She weight lifts as an elective in school which helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06