Daughter stuck and can't gain speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2009
My daughter is 12 and is pitching in her first year as at 12u. She has been stuck at a high speed of 45 to 47 mph for approximately a year or more. What can she do to improve her speed?

Jan 27, 2010
I'm hoping you plan on adding some more information about what she is doing before anyone can tell you how to improve her speed.

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure what to say. She is 5' tall. Approximately 130 pounds. I think that her arm circle is too slow. her pitching coach has tried to work on mechanics. She says that she is closing too soon and also jerks back when she releases. We have reduced the jerking motion. she just doesn't generate enough speed

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We would have to see a video of her to give you any advice. Many children your DD's age have poor mechanics. At 12U, a girl can throw up to 50 MPH with poor mechanics. However, getting about 50 MPH requires good mechanics. So, many girls your DD's age stop improving. I suspect she has a serious flaw in her motion that she must correct if she wants to pitch faster.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In order to give her a tweak. Perhaps another opinion would be beneficial. I
have always believed that when a pitcher 'plateaus' it is time to consult
another pitching coach. This is not by any means a knock on her current coach.
She is 12, sometimes, a 12yo needs to 'click' with her PC.

Yes, it is probably mechanics. Is she practicing/pitching several days a week?
Is she doing drills? Much of the mechanical issues are related to muscle memory.
The more she works at it (properly of course) the faster she will come around.
I have a 13yo on my team who is a finesse pitcher- she is not fast (48-50)
She rarely throws a fast ball as she has limitations with speed. At 14U, her FB
will get pounded. She throws a very good screw, drop screw, drop curve and change up.
The drop screw comes in around 42 and is just plain nasty, her other pitches are in the 45 range.
She wins plenty of games. Even the 2nd time thru the line-up, most good hitters
still cannot get much more than a weak grounder off her. She does not strike out a lot
of batters, but balls rarely leave the IF. Pitching is almost never hopeless.

Post a video

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the comments. I changed her pitching coach last year because she did plateau. Her pitching coach has worked with her on mechanics. She believes this is the problem. We have just finished our B-team season. She pitched 2 games finishing 1-0 with a decision. The no decision she stuck out the last batter but the catcher dropped the 3rd strike and threw the ball into right field, 2 runs scored and she was pulled out before the next inning for a faster pitcher. She has not had the opportunity to really work as hard as she should have for the last 2 months. hopefully we will get back on track

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad