Daughter struggling with fastball, but...............

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Her other pitches are coming along really well.

Daughter is 14. Had decent speed throughout the year. Then about 2 months ago, for 1 week, she threw really fast. Probably 3-5 mph faster than all year. Then it slipped away. Now she is struggling with her fast ball. We know her arm circle is off, and at the bottom of the circle she is muscleing (pulling) the arm, instead of whipping it. Pitching coach has tried and tried to fix it.

Here's the kicker - her change up, curveball, and screwball all have a perfect circle with the correct release for each one. And her curve, screw, and drop are all faster than her fastball. Pitching coach says it's mental, and she is trying to throw the ball hard, whereas on the other pitches she is focusing on correct realease, and she doesn't muscle the pitch.

Here's another thing - daughter just made her HS team, and the coach hardly ever calls a fastball.

So, I am wondering, as we get closer to winter break (6-8 weeks off) should we just focus on her movement pitches, and give the fastball a rest? Maybe the break, then "re-build" the fastball mechanics at the start of the year? Even in TB they didn't call a fastball as much as movement pitches.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I am not a real pitching coach, nor do i play one on TV. I would however be willing to place a small wager on why the fastball is struggling like you describe. This forum has been great in discussing terms in ways most people can understand. You have certainly heard the term "IR" on this forum. Here is what I believe to be happening. The movement pitches, your DD is focusing on spin. The rise, screw and curve for the most part all force the arm to slot into what has been called "IR" on this site. This is allowing her natural whipping motion to occur during the pitch because she is leading with her elbow. When she throws the fastball, she is getting "behind" the ball. This is what is causing the muscling effect you see. I would say that if you gave her a small football and practice playing catch with her throwing it to you in the underhand moting, you would fix the muscling issue. She would not be able to spiral the ball to you if she doesn't lead with the elbow. Without video, it is all speculation. JMHO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA