daughter pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
She looks very good in a lot of stages in her pitching. She's getting a good load and is striding hard, she's opening up and landing solid, making enough room for her arm to get through. Her hand gets through her hips before she begins to close and she finishes with her momentum going forward, which is good.

Some concerns I have is that she's essentially doing a walkthrough for every pitch. Her starting stance is legal in HS, but not in any other organization, due to her stride leg being so far back where it cannot touch the rubber. She's shifting her weight back on that stride leg, and then taking a step with her pivot foot out in front of where the rubber would be, essentially steping/running into the pitch. This might be because there is no rubber here. You can get a 1x4 piece of wood and screw it onto that mat you have or even just screw down a nail-down rubber and see if she self-corrects.

The other concern i have is that her arm circle is off plane. It's an ellipse and she's torquing around her body quite a bit, shortening her circle so she's loosing a lot of speed. Try to get her to brush her bicep against her ear at the top of the circle and finish with her forarm brushing against her belly. This will help her get the longest, most linear arm circle she can. Hopefully that will fix the exaggerated lean towards 3rd base and she'll gain quite a bit of power.

Keep up the good work.

-W

Jun 22, 2008
She cannot pick the pivot foot up and set it back down. It is illegal in all sanctioning bodies with the exception of NCAA. And even there it cannot move forward if it is lifted.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
Thanks. Doesn't have problem with foot moving in dirt. She threw in a lot of big ASA tourneys this summer and had no problem with illegal pitches. We need to get a new mat with pitching rubber on it. These were all available at the time. Actually 2 peices and they seperate after a couple pitches. Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2008
She cannot pick the pivot foot up and set it back down. It is illegal in all sanctioning bodies with the exception of NCAA. And even there it cannot move forward if it is lifted.

I find when pitching indoors with NO pitchers plate.......Almost ALL pitchers use this little "practice mode" move to gain some forward momentum absent of the plate to push from.........

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
Thanks for compliment. Isnt perfect but works hard. Not gonna get much taller
5'7". She is Working core and legs to get better.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I thought she looked good as well. 14 and east TN? Will we be seeing you/her at any of the state HS tournaments this spring? 5'7, count your blessings......mine stopped at 5'5. ( moms genes ) :(

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
She is a freshman. We may be at state watching. Lol... that would be a dream come true for us. Make it to the boro. Good luck to you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00