Daughter keeps pulling the ball foul

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2011
Here is a video(grainy sorry) of my DD. She has a tendency to pull the ball foul. If you look at her first 3-4 swings on the video it shows what I mean. I have tried to put her front foot toward right field but that doesn't seem to help but it seems to make her drop her hands and pull her head. Any advice?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Ball going left has to do with swing path, some of the times.

I think that is the case with her. Have her do her current swing in slo motion. The knob of the bat will head out over the plate. Her Lead arm will release close to level, which makes her bat swing almost level and a circular swing is created.

Stand her in the hitting stance. Have her try to take the knob of the bat and point it towards the pitcher.
Front elbow 2-4 inches towards pitcher, knob to pitcher then release the bat head.

Her front hand has to release under neath her front elbow, so the bat head will go straight through the ball instead of hitting across the ball.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Its hard to say for sure with just front view footage but pulling the ball foul has to do with hitting around the ball.
I would guess if you were watching from the side or even behind she is releasing her hands (bat head) early which will always cause you to hit around it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I worked with a girl that had a swing resembling this today. Made excellent progress ... corrected the issue by showing her how to make a "connected" swing.

Notice the "Lazy-L" in her swing ...

vgix5t.gif

If you have side-view video then post it ... I believe it will be rather revealing.

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for the responses. We worked on a tee today and worked on bat knob moving first to the ball. This has seemed to help with the elbows/hands staying in more. She could then go opposite field and middle off the tee from the same stances. I will do some front toss tomorrow to see if this has actually helped. Thanks for the responses so far.

R

RayR

Typical knob to the ball type swing - front arm straightens (FFS indicated lazy L of the back arm). Has to hook balls to get barrel on it and stand off the plate...otherwise she would get sawed off....

Gotta learn to keep the hands behind the front elbow longer and stay inside...front arm needs to be able to stay bent longer...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good MTS.

It can very much be a “knob to the ball” type mentality …. Which IMO should be replaced with a “hands above the ball” type mentality.

I contrast the “Lazy-L” (what we don’t want), with the “Power-Vee” (what we do want).

Basically the “Power-Vee” is the maintenance of a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep going into the RVP-Connection-Point position (where the hands pass by the rear shoulder and the “hands” + “rear shoulder” + “rear elbow” + “rear hip” are aligned).

Here’s the Lazy-L …..

vgix5t.gif

Here’s the Power-Vee ……

FP_Swing_Demo_PowerVee.gif

The "Power-Vee", or pinched rear forearm-to-bicep, begins at 'launch' and carries through to the RVP-Connection-Point position .....

Pujols_RearView_PowerVee.gif

How the swing is started will come into play. Start the swing with the upper body … with the arms … and you’ll have issues like this. Start the swing with the lower body, and the ability to “connect” largely improves. Here’s a video from a golfing perspective.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
As Howard would say. Rotate as needed. Look were her belly button is when she makes contact. Just one of many things, besides where the bat ends up around her shoulder instead of up and around .

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would get the back foot up in line with the front one. Her hips are unable to rotate, with one foot behind the other. So, she is unable to make contact, correctly and becomes all shoulders and arms.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321