Daughter asked me post a video of her swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think her hand path looks good, and with a little specific work she could have a really good swing. If I was working with her:
Stance: I would widen it out, knees directly below pits, feet outside knees. Bend at waist slightly, soften knees, weight balanced on balls of feet. Her elbows are too close in. Dangle hands to side, cross hands and touch opposite shoulders making an X across chest. Bring hands together into grip position keeper elbows and forearm at same angle as when in the X. She should feel and look stronger.
Check her grip, it looks kind of deep in her palms, should be in her fingers.
Load: she isn't loading. Search "alabama softball clinic" on youtube (sorry I am on my phone or I would post the vid) there is a vid on thhee they are teaching "sit and stretch" load. Try that.
Weight transfer: she isnt moving any weight forward. If you watch her back foot spinning, it is even moving away from the ball. Look on the "dd swing improvement" thread going right now. The same poster of the bama loading vid, has a vid of the drill I call "the ichiro", watch that, work on that, though we launch from the foot at knee position without pausing. Walkthroughs are another weight transfer drill we do a lot. Sometimes back foot cross in front of front foot, sometimes behind, not sure it matters much.

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with the stance,needs to be wider,also she holds her bat straight up and down,get the knob of the bat to point at the catchers toe and the barrel of the bat behind her head,now there is a poster on here named straightleg,he has posted pictures of his dd's stance and how she holds the bat,I would look for the pictures and see what I mean.I guess I'am going to go again with what straightleg says, as the hips go forward the hands go back.Your dd is not creating any tension in her swing,what I'am saying is that her arms are moving forward the sametime as the hips.I would like to see myself your dd to walk a way with her hands,meaning when she is striding to toe touch the hands are going back,getting a negative move with the arms,before going forward.I see what redhotcoach says about her foot spining,it looks like it to me to.The swing should start from the ground up,not from the top down.You have come to the right place for help,there are a bunch of good and knowledgeable people that post on here. Good Luck

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I know this doesn't help you with your DD's swing but if you have a free weekend.Go through all the post(if you haven't already)where the dad's have posted videos of their own DD's.You can view their swings from their first post.Read the suggestions and comments.See the additional videos on the corrections.Read whether the corrections fixed the problems or not.Along the way you will learn what a good/bad swing looks like from girls your DD's age.What I have learned is I really didn't know how to teach my DD how to hit,but on this site there are a lot of people who do.There are a lot of helpful posters on this site that will help you and your DD.Good luck.The good part is you will spend a lot of time with your DD as you both learn.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

The sit and stretch load. I like Murphy's comment of "imagine a big rubber band wrapped around your front knee then to the knob of your bat. It is loose, then stretch it as your front knee moves forward your bat moves up and back."

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
This may seem like a foolish suggestion, but I think it will help in the long run. Have her keep the bucket closer to the back of the Tee. This way she can get into a better rhythm in her daily Tee work. Also, it will increase the amount of swings that she can accomplish in a shorter period of time. The hand path looks good. This is a great start. I think that she needs to get in a more athletic and aggressive stance while doing tee work. Many players fail to realize that the approach you take while doing tee work will reflect your success when game time comes. She also has to keep her head on the ball for a longer period of time. Have her focus on the ball and whatever printing is on the yellow bag that is helping support the Tee.

Oct 7, 2009
I found the Alabama softball clinic one. It's a nice video that I can show her. I couldn't find the ichiro drill video though. I'll keep looking.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Oct 25, 2009
Along with what redhotcoach said in post 2, get the bat out of her ear. Put a ball in her hand and have her put it in a position of throwing it far. Now replace the ball with the bat. That's where the bat should be just before she throws the barrel at the ball.

Sep 17, 2009
She seems raw, a little unsure but athletic. Very promising. You know what I'd do first? Have her look at the model swings thread and have her get her OWN image of the swing she'd like to have, and then let her try to figure it out (ie, emulate it on her own). That would be interesting (and not in any way harmful, imho).

After that, THEN talk about the elements of the swing (coil, separation, etc) she is now copying (based on a lot of the work available on this site, as an earlier poster recommended). I'd be interested in seeing a girl at your DD's "level" try that type of approach (I know that sounds like I'm advocating experimenting on her, I guess I am : >). But again, I don't think it would be a bad first step....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your daughter is using a poor swing sequence that has her powering the swing with her arms.

Love the property ….. looks to be a good lot of land with nicely built homes. What area of the country would this be?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA