Dallas Escobedo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but is Dallas really throwing a riseball? I just don't see how it can be with the position of her body and by the way her follow through is. I understand the pitch ends up high in the zone but I can't help but think it's just a high fastball.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but is Dallas really throwing a riseball? I just don't see how it can be with the position of her body and by the way her follow through is. I understand the pitch ends up high in the zone but I can't help but think it's just a high fastball.

The best judge of whether or not it is a riseball is the results. She played in the PAC-10 against some of the best hitting teams in college. They all knew she was going to throw the rise and she struck out over 300 batters. I guarantee they can lay off of a high fastball.

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and strikes out a duck....then it is a riseball.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
When Dallas first got to ASU, she was mostly a thrower....

I have been watching her pitch since she was about 14, all through HS and travel ball, and she relied on her speed and power to get hitters out. She was usually successful at those levels. Once she got to ASU, she needed to learn how to pitch. A buddy of mine who watched her during fall ball in her freshman year noticed her work on movemnet pitches, but also noticed that when she got in trouble, she reverted back to "I'm going to throw it as hard as I can". This mostly worked against a fall ball schedule and part of the non-conference schedule ASU played, but it wasn't going to work against PAC 12 hitters.

Lots of credit to Chuck D'Arcy for teaching her to be a pitcher and not just a thrower.

Mar 12, 2009
I would like to see a slow motion video of her throwing it because I still can't imagine it being a true rise.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Just an idea talking to an old men's pitcher. He said she could be throwing the cupped rise, which gets the spin from hand being palm down.

Forgive my ignorance but how does one get riseball spin with palm down?

Do you happen to have a picture of the cupped grip by any chance?

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Forgive my ignorance but how does one get riseball spin with palm down?

Do you happen to have a picture of the cupped grip by any chance?

My guess is an old school "rise where palm is down and fingers flick up on release to produce backspin. Just a guess. I vaguely recall my dad talking about it in the 60's.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What SoAZDad said.. It doesn't have a huge break, but her pitching motion for the riseball and fastball as well as the release point are almost identical.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
When Dallas first got to ASU, she was mostly a thrower....

Once she got to ASU, she needed to learn how to pitch. A buddy of mine who watched her during fall ball in her freshman year noticed her work on movemnet pitches, but also noticed that when she got in trouble, she reverted back to "I'm going to throw it as hard as I can". This mostly worked against a fall ball schedule and part of the non-conference schedule ASU played, but it wasn't going to work against PAC 12 hitters.

Well it certainly worked against Florida a couple of months later in the WCWS - which, as I am sure you know, she won as a freshman. She was in the top 10 this year in consideration for national softball POY honors as well. just sayin'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi