Dad a nervous Wreck! Positive or negative

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
My kid is 2014.....going after a couple of semi-local D2 schools. Asst coach watched her first travel game of the year.
she went 1-1 with an RBI...didnt get much action in the field. DD kept emailing them and calling with no response.

Last weekend she gets an email....head coach wants to see her play as she didnt see much defensive action in the
game she played.

So HC shows up for the game....first time up DD has bases loaded. She rips a double to the gap and clears the bases.
As she rounds 2nd looking to take the extra base on the throw home....cut off does her job and promptly picks her off.
She finished the game 3-3 with 2 doubles. Had one defensive throw home from the outfield that slipped out of her hand...you could tell it was a semi weak throw. After the game....coach is leaving, DD goes over to talk to him and
she tells DD that He will be back for 2nd game..which he did.

First AB daughter has another solid single. Then promptly gets picked off 1b??? :mad: 1b coach instructed her to take
a big lead (she is an aggressive base runner and leading in SB on the team)....later in the game she makes a diving
attempt on a fly ball...didnt quite get to it. She also made two pretty good throws to home. Coach left about 2/3 the way through the game without talking to DD.

DD...called him monday and hasnt got a response thus far? I guess the ? is....did she do well? She went 4-5 while she watched....just made a couple of stupid base running blunders. I am a nervous wreck over the entire deal. LOL this is the college she really wants to attend.

The other ? is...she attended college #2's camp recently. Head coach liked her very much...and said they were having another camp in a couple of weeks to look at some additional girls. Thus far after a month we have heard NOTHING from him. She has called and left numerous emails....I am thinking she doesnt have a shot with them. But yet we thought a week ago we didnt have a shot with her #1 choice because we hadnt heard anything from them in over a month.

Its very frustrating....i wish it would be done with!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I do question the social skills of a coach who, if she needed to leave, wouldn't go up to a parent and briefly say, 'Nice to have met you, will stay in touch, gotta run.'' But maybe I don't understand all the recruiting rules.

As for her performance, she obviously produced, so I wouldn't worry about it. If I'm a college coach, I look for things that I can fix and can't fix. It's easier to fix mental errors than physical shortcomings, so I wouldn't sweat getting picked off. Her reaction to being picked off might've been more important.

I'm sure it's nerve-racking, though. Heck, I got nervous watching my kid play 8U rec ball. I'm sure if I were in your position, I'd play it cool, but I'd be churning on the inside. Congrats to your daughter for attracting the attention of coaches.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Most coaches are dealing with at least 10 recruits a day. I think that your DD did fine. The coach probably didn't have time to get caught talking to you.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
NCAA coach is not going to talk to parents at the ball park, if ever. I don't think I said anything beyond "hi coach" to DD's college coach for 3 years until we were sitting in her office at the university getting an offer. Majority of communication came through TB coach since NCAA coaches also can't directly contact the girls until after their junior HS year. The one-sided communication is nerve-wracking, I know what you're feeling.

May 10, 2010
My dd was invited at a showcase to a camp. She was excited and went to the camp and was one of two pitchers that was gunned. It was a good camp, but not one coach visited with her. I thought that was a little strange.

Aug 14, 2011
It sounds like your daughter did very well. Congratulations! Coaches are very very busy this time of year. Remember your daughter is not the only girl who emails, calls, etc. They will get back with her when they can. I'm not sure if they could even speak to her yet, but if they can they certainly can't do it in the middle of the tournament. I know it's hard to be patient and this whole recruiting thing is a roller coaster. It's worth the wait! I will say that the school that my daughter ended up choosing to go to was one of the schools that actually contacted her the least. They were just always watching quietly and observing. So don't worry too much, and trust that these coaches are professionals, and if your daughter has good mechanics they will see it and appreciate it! Good luck!

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
if I'm not mistaken, a DI/DII Coach cannot approach or talk to a prospective recruit during tournament play. Only once the recruits final ball game of the Tournament is complete can they talk - even at that point there are rules depending on players classification (e.g. sophomore, junior, senior etc) and time of year.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
UPDATE....

Well Coach called the house Wed pm...and him and the DD played phone tag for a couple of days.

In a nut shell...He liked what He saw. He wants DD to schedule an "unofficial visit" to the school here within the next couple of weeks and let the coach know when that is so we can talk. He wants DD to come for what i would "assume" is an "official" visit during their fall ball season at a home game weekend to meet the team etc. He also said to let him know if anyone else was recruiting her and she had to make a decision soon??? He also added that He wants to see who is coming back to play ball in the fall on the team I guess 4 making a decision.

So i guess without a definitive......YES WE WANT You!! i am assuming that was a pretty good phone call to get?

And dropball you are correct...coach said he is not supposed to talk to a her during a tournament??? which i dont understand cause i thought they could after July 1??? but obviously this is all new to me.

very excited for my kid...this is the school she wants to go to and its a perfect fit for her both academic and softball. I hope it all works out!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes