D# visit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
DD will be a 2013 grad. She will be visiting a private D3 school next week to tour the campus, meet with admissions, and tak to the softball coach. The coach has not seen her play but has seen her skills video and had positive feedback.

What should we expect from this visit? What questions should we ask?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
To start, your daughter needs to do the talking, so rehearse with her what she needs to ask.

I would want to know as much about classes available in my major, as I would the schedule, etc.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
plsjms94
D# visit

DD will be a 2013 grad. She will be visiting a private D3 school next week to tour the campus, meet with admissions, and tak to the softball coach. The coach has not seen her play but has seen her skills video and had positive feedback.

What should we expect from this visit? What questions should we ask?

Here are some of the questions my DD considered when she was on recruiting visits:

How many others are you considering recruiting at your position?

What is the level of interest in me?

How much playing time can you expect as a freshman?

What is the practice schedule like in the fall verses the spring and then during the season?

Does the coach expect to be at the school for all 4 years of your college, or do they plan on leaving if a better opportunity comes up?

How do you run your practices?

How long is a typical practice?

How does the School and Administration view the Softball Program, players and Coaching Staff?

Do players have access to facilities for extra or individual workouts?

Would the incoming players consider practices hard?

How many players do you carry on away trips – do any players on the roster not travel?

What is your approach to the game, meaning are you aggressive offensively, stealing bases, hit and runs, etc?

How do you deal with the relationship between class and athletics?

How do you accommodate classes and exams that conflict with practices and games?

What about academic support? Meaning; does the school provide tutors for the players if needed?

What is the team GPA?

What is the team graduation rate?

What are some of the majors of team players?

How many assistant coaches are there?

Where do you see the program in next 3-4 years?

Do players stay in the same dorms with other students or are there separate dorms for players?

Do players eat in the dining halls?

Does the team try to eat together?

What percentage of freshmen ends up being on the team for all four years? Is that your goal to have incoming players there for all 4 years?

What are some of the reasons that players are let go from the program or leave the program?

How safe is the Campus?

How supportive is the school on the local community and vice versa?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Dropball gave a pretty good list about what to discuss with the coach.

What questions should we ask?

This should be primarily conversation between your DD and the coach. It is time for her to take responsibility, and you need to take a back seat and let her drive.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Excellent question list from Dropball above. Just make sure you do your homework in advance! You shouldn't have to ask the SB coach about the school's academic offerings/majors. If you don't know that already, it tells the coach that you were unprepared, not serious about the school, or both! Same thing regarding the SB team - most have a team website w/ past record, schedule, and player roster. Be sure to check out the roster to see the class and position distribution. Clarify any possible red flags that may concern you (i.e., no Freshman or no upperclassmen). Estimate the apparent strength/weakness/depth at your position(s) and ask how you may fit in (i.e., don't be surprised later when you don't get playing time behind a returning All-American) etc....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06