CWS Announcers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I HOPE Sanctioning bodies take notice and truly explain the strike zone to their umps......a ball with 'murvment' that crosses it IS a strike....

I was talking to the UIC at our most recent tournament and basically he said he didn't care how bad some of the umpires were because there just wasn't enough umpires out there to get replacements if the ones he had managed to get for the tournament quit. Basically he was thrilled there were enough umpires to staff the games. He did say he tried to keep the 'worst' ones on less important games but sometimes he just had to hope for the best.

Having umpired many, many years in basketball I understand the sentiment no matter how 'wrong' it is. Finding enough umpires is hard enough and being picky is rarely an option.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You musta been at Collierville?...lets just say so I dont really call out another States program...Our ump and yours could have been kin...Just crossover at Memphis:rolleyes:

Why is it...we have such bad umpiring?...I think ours was home cooking...and I think we have way to many tourneys, to many watered down sanctioning bodies...I don't mind losing a game, but that ump was clearly lopsided in his calling...I HOPE Sanctioning bodies take notice and truly explain the strike zone to their umps......a ball with 'murvment' that crosses it IS a strike....

Man I hate you had such a bad experience here. ASA has always struggled in this area. When DD was real young we had a horrible ASA director, most gave up on his tourneys. Then about 3 years ago a new guy took over and he didn't last long because no one still wanted to take a chance on him. ( and the other two programs/sanctions ran a great tourney ) Now I hear ASA has yet another director, and from your experience sounds like the same old record, a scratched one at that.

Aug 21, 2008
and while she gets things wrong occasionally I would not want to put my softball bona fides up against MS and neither would any of you.

I don't know David, I'd give it as shot. I do broadcasts for the internet games played at the men's world tournament (when we aren't playing :p) Not saying I'm the next Bob Costas but I surely know the difference between a dropball and a "backdoor curve". It's listening to these games that makes girls think they need 9 pitches, which is utterly ridiculous. A lefty throwing an inside dropball to a RH batter is automatically a "drop curve". It makes me wanna vomit. I wish they would stop trying to sensationalize every pitch!

And while I'm at it: these pitchers who are turning sideways to "hide their grip" completely negate the action when they drop out of their glove showing the batter and coaches the grip they tried so hard to hide! There's no point in hiding the grip when you drop out of your glove afterwards!!

If picking the pitchers is becoming commonplace in women's college softball (hence the need to hide the grip) which MS says is an influence of the men's game coming into the women's game (one of the only things I agree with her about), then it won't belong until these former men players teach the hitters how to read the pitcher themselves. Then the girls with the backswing of their arm and drop out of their glove are in real trouble.

BH

Bill

Jun 18, 2010
It's listening to these games that makes girls think they need 9 pitches, which is utterly ridiculous. A lefty throwing an inside dropball to a RH batter is automatically a "drop curve". It makes me wanna vomit. I wish they would stop trying to sensationalize every pitch!

Better make that 10, I heard them describe one of Keilani Ricketts' pitches as a CROP (Curve Drop).

Dec 7, 2011
I asked an umpire friend of mine why crow hopping is never called around here and he pretty much told me exactly what you said above. The problem I have with that is most of the crow hoppers I see are considered some of the better pitchers. Coincidence? I honestly don't know but it does make me wonder.

I wish they'd either make it legal or call it.

I know there are going to be exceptions to this rule but whenever I hear of a really good "vertically-challenged" pitcher it is almost always accompanied by crow-hopping.

YES, it makes a difference. Either allow it all or ban it all. STOP the ambiguity! It taints the sport!

My next DD is going to be a skipping steroid user that will grow to 6'6" and throw 90mph and maybe then a line will be drawn by sb officiating!

OK – I’ll take my meds…… :)

Aug 21, 2008
As a pitcher, I realize my point of view is tainted. But, the rule has to change. Why are pitchers still using rules from 1950 but hitters are allowed the equipment of today. Pitchers are required to wear MASKS, there is a banned bat list, balls are polycore now (not cork which softens) yet, people still worry about the pitcher conforming to the antiquated rules. How often are slappers out of the box when they bunt and slap? It's almost constant, yet it almost NEVER gets called.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I don't know David, I'd give it as shot. I do broadcasts for the internet games played at the men's world tournament (when we aren't playing :p) Not saying I'm the next Bob Costas but I surely know the difference between a dropball and a "backdoor curve". It's listening to these games that makes girls think they need 9 pitches, which is utterly ridiculous. A lefty throwing an inside dropball to a RH batter is automatically a "drop curve". It makes me wanna vomit. I wish they would stop trying to sensationalize every pitch!

And while I'm at it: these pitchers who are turning sideways to "hide their grip" completely negate the action when they drop out of their glove showing the batter and coaches the grip they tried so hard to hide! There's no point in hiding the grip when you drop out of your glove afterwards!!

If picking the pitchers is becoming commonplace in women's college softball (hence the need to hide the grip) which MS says is an influence of the men's game coming into the women's game (one of the only things I agree with her about), then it won't belong until these former men players teach the hitters how to read the pitcher themselves. Then the girls with the backswing of their arm and drop out of their glove are in real trouble.

BH

Bill

I believe that my softball bona fides stands up pretty well vs MS as well. The other day they showed a "screwball" thrown in slow motion by a right handed pitcher. The spin was essentiall bullet spin, because you could see it on the screen. That pitch will not/cannot move. The only thing it does is angle in because the pitcher leans left and throws right. MS had described the "late break" on that particular pitch. I don't care where or when she played she is a product of a lot of this nonsense that gets thrown around.
One problem Bill, is even at the college level, most of these girls can't adjust to the pitch even if they know it's coming. There are numerous times that I pick a pitcher's changeup right in the glove and communicate it to my hitters well in advance and I'd say not once could they sit back and wait. They'd rather practice their cheers and songs than concentrate on the finer parts of the game.

Apr 26, 2012
I hate what ESPN has become. They have to sensationalize everything, its impossible for them to just broadcast a game. They change who's the best pitcher in the country depending on who's on tv at the time. Is it Ricketts, Traina, or Escabido(sp)? They tell the same stories every game, like the same people aren't watching. They were really pushing that best of the west vs the rest crap, I'm so glad all the pac whatever teams got put out. I'm so tired of hearing that Cheryl lady talk about how amazing it is that world class pitchers can hit their spots. It's the college world series not 12-u! She goes on and on and completely forgets there is a game going on! Sorry bout the rant ESPN just irks me in every sport. I'm surprised they haven't worked Tim Tebow in there somehow

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This could be an unpopular contribution to this thread but I am really enjoying the broadcasts. I love the fact that ESPN is dedicating more technical resources to the games. Makes them more entertaining to the average viewer. That is what it is all about with television sports and there is nothing wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie