Cutoffs from right field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
A play that differs so much from base to softball is a hard base hit to RF with a runner on 2nd. We just finished our first 12U year and will play 12U at least throughout the spring. Our Rf's can have the ability to get the runner at 1st often. My concern is that if I still want to try and get that our it requires 1B to stay home when I would normally in baseball have them be a cutoff from to home plate. I can use the pitcher but would prefer not to.

Any good thoughts would be helful.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A rf shouldn't need a cutoff to home on a ball hit in front of them...the only ball that they would stand any chance of getting the batter out on.

Jun 11, 2013
They don't need a relay, but I still want to cut it if the throw home is late or the runner on third holds and we want to keep the hitter on first.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sure, cover the bag until it's clear there is no play at 1. The cut spot to home inline from the rf shouldn't be a problem to get to.

It has to be a pretty short hit ball to rf or one that is just ripped and one hops to the fielder to have a chance at 1st.

Jan 24, 2011
Shouldnt 2b be the cut on a ball hit to rf? as would ss to a ball hit to lf?[/QUOT

No. On softball fields those throws are just too short and useless (unless the ball was hit to the fence). My 16u team uses the pitcher as the cutoff on all throws to home from outfielders.

Aug 3, 2013
Shouldnt 2b be the cut on a ball hit to rf? as would ss to a ball hit to lf?[/QUOT

No. On softball fields those throws are just too short and useless (unless the ball was hit to the fence). My 16u team uses the pitcher as the cutoff on all throws to home from outfielders.

Oh sorry, thinking 10u more then 16u. for cuts we use ss to lf 2b to right (they talk on ball hit to cf). pitcher/1b used as backups.

Jun 24, 2013
12U and less the pitchers seem to be the best athletes so I like having the pitcher be the cutoff. They also can retreat to the circle to stop a play that is going south.

You certainly give up on some backups using this strategy.

Mar 29, 2012
Pitcher as cutoff if needed, a hard hit ball that doesn't get past RF gives you chance for the out at 1 so we have 1st on the bag.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I have F4 go out for a cut off only of the ball gets past F9. F3 will act as a cutoff from F9 to home if needed. F1 goes in foul territory past the 3rd base line and prepares to back up at 3rd base or home plate.

I use this for the following situations: Single to right field or right center with a runner on 2nd or 2nd & 3rd or 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG