curveball tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The boogar flick curve can be thrown by all age groups. It is not stressful at all to any part of the body with the exception of maybe the index finger fingernail.

RH pitcher here. For a flat breaking curveball, release it in the handshake position out in front of the hip. If you turn the hand a little farther inward at release it will turn intoi a down and out pitch.

Whatever way the index finger is pointingf when you flick it, that is the direction of the movement of the pitch.

With all due respect and thanks to Ken for mentioning it, it is NOT thrown like the 'Bent fingered riseball'. It is in my book.

I have hasd 10yo's make it move 3 feet and 18 year olds have it move 5 feet + when they threw it as a slow change up. These flexible and limber young ladies made it move WAY more than I ever did when I pitched. Had a 16yo pitcher fly in from Saant Catalina island one year. She mastered it in less than a dozen pitches. Her team played in a tough Los Angeles league. I told her she would get her picture in the paper within a month. It only took two weeks. She would throw it behind the batters back and extremely slow. The batter would step out of the box as it started to curve, then it kept curving and crossed the strike zone with the batter still out of the box.

There is nothing you cannot do with a softball with enougfh practice and experimenting.

I was not the one that gave this pitch its name, two 12yo students named it many years ago.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Actually wasn't referring to anything you've written. Any similarity is purely coincidental and no animals were harmed in the typing of my post.

Jan 6, 2014
RH pitcher here. For a flat breaking curveball, release it in the handshake position out in front of the hip. If you turn the hand a little farther inward at release it will turn intoi a down and out pitch.

So is that sort of like stopping the flip-over changeup motion halfway through then flicking the finger? I'm assuming the pointer finger starts bent on a verticle seam? I'd like to get my DD working on one of these. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1