Curve Ball Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Boomers....this not totally abnormal. I see it more with a dropcurve then with the risecurve...but have seen it on both. The hand pronation/internal rotation may be a little more exaggerated and thus accelerated. Additionally, her BI may be a little more significant which may be transferring energy a little better. Regardless of the reason....take it and be excited.....:)

DD was warming up before a game on Saturday and her travel ball coach, who admittedly knows very little about pitching and leaves the pitchers alone for the most part, asked her to try and throw a curve ball. DD's response was that she has never thrown a curve ball and didn't know how to do it. The coaches oldest daughter helps with the team (she is a major D-1 college pitcher commit) heard my daughter say that she didn't know how to throw the curveball. She came over and showed DD the basics of it and helped her for a few minutes. She got it to move a little but nothing spectacular. However, it seemed a bit faster than the regular fastball. My suspicion was confirmed this evening when we pulled out the rev fire and sure enough, the curve ball she was throwing was averaging 2 mph (57-58) faster. I asked DD what she was doing to make it a little faster and she didn't really know. I suspect it was because her front side timing was a little better because she wasn't striding so far out due to the push just on the other side of the power line which causes her to land and stabilize and split second sooner. So, my question is, has anyone else experienced this? Or, does anyone have any idea why the speed would increase while throwing this pitch?

Jul 14, 2008
So I know this might be complicated but often times curve ball can solicit a better fast twitch response do to the stretch shortening cycle (SSC) that occurs when the pitcher gains a better and later I/R load to throw curveball across the body which causes a stronger response from the SSC.

Take a look at this 13yo's big load(E/R) and late unload. Her curveball is her fastest pitch and it's obvious why considering how much load she gets and maintains deep into her I/R release soliciting the SSC and fast twitch response to throw the ball.

fcip9t.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So I know this might be complicated but often times curve ball can solicit a better fast twitch response do to the stretch shortening cycle (SSC) that occurs when the pitcher gains a better and later I/R load to throw curveball across the body which causes a stronger response from the SSC.

Take a look at this 13yo's big load(E/R) and late unload. Her curveball is her fastest pitch and it's obvious why considering how much load she gets and maintains deep into her I/R release soliciting the SSC and fast twitch response to throw the ball.

fcip9t.gif

This happened with my dd also She started throwing a two seam holding arm load longer with more ir to create spin, which ended being more whip.
Boom more speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach