Curtesy Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2022
What are the rules on Curtesy Runners for 14u fast pitch? Like can it be a girl that’s in the lineup but won’t be up to bat within the same inning? Or does it have to be a sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Usually in bracket play it needs to be a sub. In pool play it's up to the tournament but most let you use the last batted out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A courtesy runner is a player not currently in the game that runs for the pitcher or catcher. It is not a substitution that removes the P/C from the game.

A runner for any other position player is a pinch runner, and would be a substitution, which means the original player has been removed from the game. In that case, the original player would need to be re-entered to continue playing. Each player is eligible for 1 re-entry.

EDIT: The rules on CRs vary sometimes. For some rec leagues, or tournament pool play, some allow you to use a player in the game (last out, often). Strict tournament rules require that it not only be a player not currently in the game, but if you use #4 (for example) to CR for the P, #4 is locked with the P, and may not be used to CR for the C.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
The best place to start is by getting a copy of the rules for whatever organization you are playing for. When I coached Babe Ruth rec ball, the league gave me a copy of rules. Rules cited on this site may not apply to your situation.

Jun 20, 2015
as noted already, most tourneys have specific rules about it being last batted out, running for pitchers or catchers, and usually something about not the same girl 2x per inning. And also it can change pool or bracket play. As well as if you are roster batting versus subs available.

personally, i roster bat about 95% of the time and ensure that I have some speed batting ahead of pitcher & catcher in my lineup.

Oct 24, 2010
A courtesy runner is a player not currently in the game that runs for the pitcher or catcher. It is not a substitution that removes the P/C from the game.

A runner for any other position player is a pinch runner, and would be a substitution, which means the original player has been removed from the game. In that case, the original player would need to be re-entered to continue playing. Each player is eligible for 1 re-entry.

EDIT: The rules on CRs vary sometimes. For some rec leagues, or tournament pool play, some allow you to use a player in the game (last out, often). Strict tournament rules require that it not only be a player not currently in the game, but if you use #4 (for example) to CR for the P, #4 is locked with the P, and may not be used to CR for the C.

I'm think you mean a player who has not been in the game, i.e., an unused substitute, an available substitute. Your comment about P/C CRs is on point.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
Umpire will tell you at the plate meeting. Pool, can be anyone sometimes or last completed at bat. Bracket, actual sub only

Jul 19, 2021
What are the rules on Curtesy Runners for 14u fast pitch? Like can it be a girl that’s in the lineup but won’t be up to bat within the same inning? Or does it have to be a sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best to clarify with the umps at the plate meeting before the game since the rules vary based on the situation.