Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just an FYI .....

Some common cues I hear, such as "hands above the ball" and "attack from the top"... are meant to help encourage not swinging at pitches this far above the strike zone.

n507zb.gif

Yeah, her helmet didn't fly off but she missed it badly. It looks worse in the photo than to observers, but this photo shows how bad her guess was. She ended up with the bat above her head like a propeller. Some batters are weak on high pitches. Lucy is an average hitter, but she is a slapper foremost. She started out young as a right-handed hitter. The point of this is the concept of "launching the bat and dropping the shoulder" to make the frame tilt, I believe they said. I say no! This is what can happen.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I understand what your words describe and it isn't high level.

Do you believe that the force is directed down the length of the bat? The reason I asked is because you stated that the barrel is behind the hands and the shoulder moves the hands around forward. This would indicate that the barrel is being pulled around until the shoulders start to decelerate and then it whips out late.

I do not know you or have not read anything from you until the last few days. I have seen that you mentioned that you agree with Chris O'Leary. Whom I don't think I have ever agreed with. The reason I ask questions is to see what it is you truly believe.

I did notice that you have never answered my question as to Torres' swing. Whether it was long or short and if it was what you teach.

No, it doesn't take full rotation to get to hip connection. I believe I did answer it. I think it is compact. But I also added caveats. I liked Pujols' better. I didn't answer it because I didn't see it. But I answered it before answering this post. I agree on the basics with a lot of rotational coaches. Some coaches tell me I have my kids hold their hands too far out in front of their shoulder. There is a V in their elbows from shoulder to hand. But the distance is about 6 or 7, maybe 8 inches. I never measured it. Pujols is a little further I think. I explained why.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I actually agree with this. He has to initiate the process before the pitch arrives. If he isn't in heel plant when the delivery is made, he will never catch up. And when heel plant is made what happens, any coil and hip rotation is processed. So the bat is moving, and it moving either into connection at the hip as "our" school teaches, or into launch, turning the barrel as your school teaches.

Some of us have swung a lot of bats. I played in over 1600 men's games in ASA fastpitch, and also played in leagues, but I don't count those as games and could never add them up. I think others here have also swung a bat.

I am still learning your posting style so I have questions about the bold. Are you saying you need to be at heel plant before the pitch is delivered?

Posey_front_close.gif

Posey_NLDSGm1HR_front.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yeah, her helmet didn't fly off but she missed it badly. It looks worse in the photo than to observers, but this photo shows how bad her guess was. She ended up with the bat above her head like a propeller. Some batters are weak on high pitches. Lucy is an average hitter, but she is a slapper foremost. She started out young as a right-handed hitter. The point of this is the concept of "launching the bat and dropping the shoulder" to make the frame tilt, I believe they said. I say no! This is what can happen.

Not trying to pile on here. Just pointing out that Teds Williams preached "selection" for a reason.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I am still learning your posting style so I have questions about the bold. Are you saying you need to be at heel plant before the pitch is delivered?

Posey_front_close.gif

Posey_NLDSGm1HR_front.gif

Yep, very poorly worded. If the heel plant isn't made in time, during delivery, he will never catch up. When heel plant is made, the hips rotate, so motion starts. I have to admit I was about ready to accuse you of copying the text wrong.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not trying to pile on here. Just pointing out that Teds Williams preached "selection" for a reason.

Granted. But even Bustos missed worse than that. The pitcher was a pitching student of mine. She throws a screwball, rise-ball, change, curve, and has no drop. (I am not happy about that! Though now she is convinced to give up her screwball which she gets hammered on and learn a drop). But anyway, she throws a lot of rise-balls. Also, her speed is average there at 63-64mph for the top 6 or 7 teams. After that, it is in the mid to upper 50's. It would make this swing more perplexing, but, she struck out. She has two strikes so I wouldn't throw a bat at her. The problem for me was technique, not how high it was.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Granted. But even Bustos missed worse than that. The pitcher was a pitching student of mine. She throws a screwball, rise-ball, change, curve, and has no drop. (I am not happy about that! Though now she is convinced to give up her screwball which she gets hammered on and learn a drop). But anyway, she throws a lot of rise-balls. Also, her speed is average there at 63-64mph for the top 6 or 7 teams. After that, it is in the mid to upper 50's. It would make this swing more perplexing, but, she struck out. She has two strikes so I wouldn't throw a bat at her. The problem for me was technique, not how high it was.

Steve ... pushing a "level shoulder swing" would be a bad idea IMO.

HYP explained the issue already. At least what he suggested made perfect sense to me. I could have this kid hitting and being able to lay off pitches like this ... and if you listened to HYP, then you could too.

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Yep, very poorly worded. If the heel plant isn't made in time, during delivery, he will never catch up. When heel plant is made, the hips rotate, so motion starts. I have to admit I was about ready to accuse you of copying the text wrong.

I see you say rotation starts at heel plant. Can you explain what you mean by rotation? I see the hips starting to open prior to heel plant and in some, prior to the front foot getting down.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez