Credentials for hiring a HS coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
1. Succesful experience dealing with teenage girls (any sport or activity).
2. Softball knowledge; knowing the game well enough to not be over their head.
3. Bring a staff......you know, the 2-3 unpaid assistants that really make you look good.

Aug 2, 2008
Our school prefers to have faculty coaches but wont if there is a better qualified applicant. We have a new HS coach this year, he played football, and baseball in college in college, his wife was a D-1 b-baller and have been around sports since they could walk. Its a smaller school so the hiring was kind of "hey, you should hire that guy" from his supporters. He signed a 3 year contract and then said he's putting 100% percent of what the school pays him back into the program.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve, I'm not sure that starsnuffer meant "background check" in that way.

What I meant was a MORALS background check. I assume you figured that out. They never did a background check on me. Perhaps because I did two stints at the University so people knew me. But still! I don't object to such precaution.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are a lot of different ideas in this thread and probably because the responses are a mix of public and private schools. Mike, is your situation at a private school? Otherwise, most public schools are year to year. For example, every coach at my school is called in and evaluated. Then, they know where they stand with regards to their job. We have year to year contracts and so, every coach knows that they can be let go if things didn't go so well.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Off track here, but for my current job I had a background check and a drug test. That was 15 years ago and it has never happened again.

Do schools follow-up with stuff like this, like a background check every year, or once you are in the door you are good?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Teachers and coaches are fingerprinted and background checked, so I am not sure what some are talking about, claiming no checks. The references are actually checked on the phone and put in writing on a particular form. Pluhease....

However, I am not sure how you perform a so-called morals check. Perhaps look at facebook (if page not private) or google the person.

1 out of 3 coaches is not a teacher--current stats.

After 3 years and NFHS certification, the non-teacher coach can't be booted for a teacher.

Screwball, where did you gets these stats and the notion that a non-teacher coach can't be booted for a teacher? That simply isn't true. Sports are extracurricular activities and so, any coach can be terminated at any time and "cause" does not have to be given.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Screwball, I'd love to read this in the state rules. Would you mind pointing out what state?

Logic would dictate thatif a coach was fired under your scenerio and then replaced by a teacher, then that coach could claim that they were terminated in lieu of a teacher and so sue the school district.

Screwball, I read some other comments about coaches signing "long term contracts" and wonder how that can be. Is that the case in your state? The reason I ask is that, again, any coach can be terminated without "cause" since it is extra curricular. I've coached some of the top baseball teams in this country and yet have never had that job security.

Aug 2, 2008
Public school cannonball, you have me thinking on the three years now??? I may have that wrong, I will check. I dont believe there are any performance standards though. We had a new girls b-ball coach, last year they went 2 and out in state, this year they won league but didnt make it to state and although the AD was sticking with her she succomed to parent pressure and quit coaching and teaching. Small schools are very wierd.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
If that's your dream, then chase it. Very few people have a career that they love. I'm lucky that I have a job that pays good and I "like", that's why I have so much extra time to talk on here. :)

Just for your info.......
Head coach gets $2500 from the school system, then another $1000 from the booster club.

Asst coach gets $1500 from the school system and $1000 from the booster club.

All their travel expenses are billed to the school, gas, hotel, think they get $20 a day ( out of county games ) for meals.

I get $0.00 for being the team statistician and telling the coach he's an idiot when we lose. Both of which I enjoy. :)

I definitely plan on chasing it... there's nothing that I can do other than apply for those jobs. The worst that they can do is hire someone else. I know I have a lot to learn between now and then, but I've got a fair bit of experience under my belt to be as young as I am now (my coaching highlights sheet is already half a page long at 19 years old... guess that's what happens when your teams win big :))
At my HS, the coaches paid for their own food but there were some places that coaches ate free (like Chick-fil-a). We never had hotel stays in HS and they rode the bus with the girls, so the gas wasn't an issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild