Crazy way to lose a game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
As told to me by the head of the travel orgaization DD was with:

State Championship softball game, he is the visiting team up 3 runs, with 2 outs in bottom 7th. Home team has the bases loaded; 0-2 pitch - strike 3 on a swing in the dirt. Catcher blocks ball; all she has to do is tag home for the force out to win.

Nope- catcher picks the ball up; fires to 1st and throws the ball out to the right field fence....bases clear and the batter runs completely around the bases and scores on the 4 base error for his team to lose by 1.

That's a tough one.

I put that one on the coach. If I am the coach in that situation I am making sure my C knows what to do with D3S with bases loaded. Even if she been there before, in the heat of the moment I am reminding her.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
That was my team, four years ago. 9U Little League tournament. That coach was forever known as "Coach Hugs" from that day forth. Actually grabbed the girl as she was rounding the bag to prevent her from going to second, knowing that the run had to score to win the game.

Our team did end up winning in extra innings, otherwise I might have killed him later. He never coached in our league again (his choice).

That's the game, small world. I felt so bad for that guy.

We're you coaching third? I remember the girl that scored the winning run rounding 3rd and bumping into the 3b coach.. And everyone suddenly getting quiet and staring at the ump (until he smiled and ruled it incidental) :)

Jun 24, 2013
I've got to the point where I only air-five my girls at 1st. No touching whatsoever. I make sure when i lean in to tell them something that my hands are clasped behind my back.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I've got to the point where I only air-five my girls at 1st. No touching whatsoever. I make sure when i lean in to tell them something that my hands are clasped behind my back.

Me too. My problem is I ignore the coaches box. I cant stand still in all the excitement and action.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
That's the game, small world. I felt so bad for that guy.

We're you coaching third? I remember the girl that scored the winning run rounding 3rd and bumping into the 3b coach.. And everyone suddenly getting quiet and staring at the ump (until he smiled and ruled it incidental) :)

LOL...I had forgotten that part. I was on the bench for that game, my daughter was an 8 year old and the two field coaches were dads of 9 year olds. We came back the following year and won the tournament, minus Coach Hugs (though he remains a friend of mine). :)

Mar 13, 2010
If any girl does this and feels bad, advise her howat. The 1996 Olympics an American player did this. Hits disingenuous home run, missed the base.

No other score, game went to extra time and Australia ended up winning. Front page news in America as that was the second game America had lost in nearly 15 years.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Question about appealing. It doesn't say in the OP, but what if the ball never gets back to the pitcher. Say the girl hit the triple, the ball is thrown to the plate for the girl scoring, immediately the coach tells F2 to tag the runner. The PU calls the girl out. In that case there isn't an appeal correct?

Mar 26, 2013
Question about appealing. It doesn't say in the OP, but what if the ball never gets back to the pitcher. Say the girl hit the triple, the ball is thrown to the plate for the girl scoring, immediately the coach tells F2 to tag the runner. The PU calls the girl out. In that case there isn't an appeal correct?
F2 tagging the runner for missing the plate is a live ball appeal. Softball doesn't have the same appeal procedure as baseball where the pitcher has the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors