crankermo's DD going deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
Mann,

I can honestly say we worked on every single aspect of her swing. As far as her front foot she used to land very hard/stomp her with it when she was young. We tried to add one piece at a time and are still working on stuff now.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mann,

I can honestly say we worked on every single aspect of her swing. As far as her front foot she used to land very hard/stomp her with it when she was young. We tried to add one piece at a time and are still working on stuff now.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

What are you currently working on with her? Are there any mechanical aspects that you feel can be improved?

Jun 18, 2010
What are you currently working on with her? Are there any mechanical aspects that you feel can be improved?

I hate to say it, but this wasn't even her best swing of the day. IMO, the better swing was a low outside pitch she took deep to the opposite field. I am still kicking myself for not getting that one on video. Good news is, I have a new camera, no longer coaching, and need something to keep me busy during this upcoming season.

Jun 18, 2010
Nice!

Can someone slow this down? Thx

Post #2... Here it is again, just cuz it looks so good.

br1_slow_zpscsyygvcb.gif

Feb 14, 2010
Eric,

There's always something that needs to be more effecient in my opinion. What we are working on now is to improve the hand path. I've always approached this journey as what will Brooke need down the road. She wants to be an impact gitter at the D1 level so IMO she needs to get A LOT better.

People get in way too big of a hurry when it comes to this journey and end up causing more damage than good. It's not about the next game it's about the next month, and then the next year. At the stage Brooke is at we only have to focus on certain smaller movements because we've built a good foundation because we took our time. We've been at this for over 6yrs now and are still learning and trying to get better. Brookes work ethic is pretty darn good but it also needs to improve if she wants to achieve her ultimate goal.

I'm trying to let her be her own coach because ole dad won't be with her in college so she needs to fix herself but more importantly she needs to push herself to her goals. There are gonna 15/16 kids at college that want playing time so you better be putting in quality time on your own

Jun 18, 2010
My DD's thread from a couple years ago (worth reposting):

Mann & Knights here is where I would personally start if I had to start over:

Through my personal experiences in this journey I've learned that the body truly knows how to do what it needs to do no matter the circumstances. The biggest dilemna we face is getting out of the way and letting it do it's thing, of this I'm extremely confident. Since day one I've told Brooke that your body will tell you everything you need to know, good/bad, but we have to understand what it's telling us first and that comes from the repition of doing things right in the first place.

I'm just a regular dad who happens to be obsesssed with hitting, like the rest of you knotheads. I had a chance to play college baseball but I blew that due to a bad attitude, the reason I bring that up is I still swing the bat a lot and love to hit, always have. Anyway here's my recollection of Brooke and I's journey so far;

1. Work from the ground up and don't get in a rush. Master each component before moving onto the next. Video EVERYTHING and EVERY step along the way. NEVER, EVER ask your DD to do something without you doing it first and understanding it completely. If you can't feel it you can't teach it!

2. FFS told me something when we first started and it's so true, forget about the damn ball, learn and trust the mechanics, focus on the process not the result, very important!

3. Now onto the actual process of learning the swing, The stance has to be athletic and powerful. IMO the Howard Carrier teaching is the best out there. Hopefully Straightleg can post the philosophy because I have lost my notes on it.

4. Lower half, Brooke and started out learning the "MOVE" and eventually moved onto TM's SnF and the difference was immediate and drastic. The whip and power are on a different level. The sound of the bat will tell you all you need to know. The Babe Ruth drill really helped Brooke out.

5. Once we got the lower half we focused on the upper half but IMO alot of it is a no teach because if the stance and lower half are correct it will take care of the upper half. I do agree with MTS on the lower back being key. Do your own research on this because I feel everyone is different and maybe it came easy for Brooke and I don't want someone to skip over this part and it hurt them. Brooke and I didn't do much at all on this honestly. The scap loading and such I didn't necessarily agree with but that's just me.

6. Hands, I know there is some debate about this right now but I'm a huge believer in it, TURN THE BARREL. The barrel path is in every elite swing I've ever seen posted. Not going to get into all the technical and medical jargon, all I told Brooke is you want to get the barrel behind the ball without dumping or chomping, Pretty simplistic I know but it worked for her. Some great technical info on this site about it, read it and understand it.

I know this seems vague but IMO it's very important to learn some lessons along the way, good/bad. If you don't know what feels wrong how will you ever know what feels right? Learn at your DD's pace and ability and always keep an open mind. Brooke and I have taken several missteps but that makes the progress that much better, you can't go forward without ever going backwards. The best thing you can do is post videos here or other sites and try some of the feedback for yourselves, that's what we did. don't let emotion come into play because your kids swing got picked apart, that's how we all learn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jovet218