Cracked bat? Or just paint cracks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Son of a ...

I almost NEVER pick up equipment for players ... not bats, not catcher's helmets, nothing ...

Today a girl bunts for the third out at first base and she trots by and leaves the bat laying there. I decide to be nice and pick up the white Ghost to hand to the coach ... and I see the shark-tooth cracks.

Of course the coach said it was just paint, and "skin" cracks (hadn't heard that one before), and that it was a mark, not a crack ...

I thought my days of tossing bats was over.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

May 29, 2015
Do umps still perform "equipment check(s)"?? ...old school.
No … thankfully. (Part of the ongoing joke.)

Despite that, I had to toss another one a few days ago … as a base umpire. Not cracked, but a Gold Ghost in NFHS. It had been so long since I had seen those in the wild that I had to stop and think for a bit.

May 29, 2015
Anyone know the last time a kid was injured from a bat breaking during a game?
Locally, it’s been five years (or so) since the last one that I have personally seen. I was there as a parent, not in an official capacity.

Of course, dad (who is a piece of work) went on to the field screaming he wanted the bat for evidence so he could sue.

When’s the last time you got into a car wreck? Had an accident at work? Were mailed by a neighbor’s exotic pet? Not common, but it happens. Safety rules and equipment are there for a reason.

Jul 19, 2021
When’s the last time you got into a car wreck? Had an accident at work? Were mailed by a neighbor’s exotic pet? Not common, but it happens. Safety rules and equipment are there for a reason.
Geez i was just asking a question. No need to get so defensive nor do I need the lecture. lol............

May 29, 2015
Geez i was just asking a question. No need to get so defensive nor do I need the lecture. lol............

My apologies @El Oso . I read that with a different tone. I’m still hungover from the batting helmet thread. Safety is my number one priority, often to the bane and disdain of some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles