covered rec ball sign ups tonight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
Oh my, I guess I was one of those parents once when DD was 7 but my God Helicopter parents have gotten more flighty. Everyone want to be on this team because the coaches DD is popular ( but he can't coach and she can't play). One mom was signing up a young first year 7yo but thought we should try her out for 10u because she's going to be great once WE teach her the game. Unbelievable.

Jun 24, 2013
My DD wants to play with player A, for carpool reasons, Player A wants to play with player B, player B does not want to play for coach 1 who wants player A, etc.

A made up story, the real ones are better. :)

Oct 24, 2012
That's why completely random tryouts are necessary. Avoid any type of "their team did this..."

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What is a random tryout?

I assume he means all girls got to some sort of evaluation and coaches draft a team based on what they see.

I just got my rec team roster (9-10) the other day. The commission tries to split the talent so all teams have at least "2 pitchers" and a roughly equal number of "good", "average" and "poor" players. Pitchers are based on what girls did in the league the year before and g/a/p ratings are from either the prior year evaluations or the 1 day skills evaluation for new players to the league. It's not perfect but usually the teams are pretty fairly balanced.

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah, I guess calling it a random tryout is a dumb way out saying it. Girls tryout, coaches pick who they want.
If you have a girl who has pitched in a game before, you draft after the teams that do not have a pitcher. When you're like our first year 10u team, we had a girl taking lessons from the end of 8U and still got to draft a pitcher early because she had never pitched before. We ended up with two effective pitchers while others didnt pan out so well. But when there are only 2-4 good pitchers, I'm not sure you'll end up with any other result.

This is the reason we left the rec league and started a C level team. Not because we're great, but because we're not getting anywhere playing against wild pitchers.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yeah rec is rec for a reason but I'm not sure you'll see a whole lot better with a C-level team. I could be wrong but my experience with seeing C-teams is that they are rec teams that don't play in an area large enough to support a full rec program so they have to go to tournaments.

We are lucky enough to have a rec program that supports 10 teams this year at the 10U division.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
My favorite is when coach A says kid B should play on his team, because he "knows" they'll refuse to play for coach C if he drafts her and she'll quit softball if that happens.

Then kid B requests coach C

Oct 10, 2013
Our Rec league president would divide the teams up "equally" some how he always ended up with former travel players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd