Couple of Technique Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm Australian and there seems to be a lot of techniques taught in America that aren't really taught here (or weren't when I was younger. The current state I'm in is a mess. There isn't one pitching coach in the state that I know of that one can go to. I'm using my off season to get all the technique down perfect so I can teach within my club. Hell, after a year or two there might be an oppurtunity to do it myself)

1. The figure four sweep at the end. As a child and even as an adult that was always my natural tenancy to do the sweep behind the leg and kick my calves together. It took my mum a LONG time to get me out of that habit. Yet it seems to be one that is very commonly taught to young American pitchers.

2. The arm swinging back before starting the full windmill motion. I've seen some pitchers do it over here, but its not common. More common is the rocking motion with the glove going up, then back down before the motion starts. No swing back. What are the benefits to it?

3. Leaping. It defentitly will give more speed, but is it safe? Legal? I've watched the videos of a Virginian teacher (something Lynn, gone completely blank) and to me the style she teaches looks illegal to me, with the back leg rising up. I do know that all the top American pitchers use it though.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2010
I'm Australian and there seems to be a lot of techniques taught in America that aren't really taught here (or weren't when I was younger. The current state I'm in is a mess. There isn't one pitching coach in the state that I know of that one can go to. I'm using my off season to get all the technique down perfect so I can teach within my club. Hell, after a year or two there might be an oppurtunity to do it myself)

1. The figure four sweep at the end. As a child and even as an adult that was always my natural tenancy to do the sweep behind the leg and kick my calves together. It took my mum a LONG time to get me out of that habit. Yet it seems to be one that is very commonly taught to young American pitchers.

2. The arm swinging back before starting the full windmill motion. I've seen some pitchers do it over here, but its not common. More common is the rocking motion with the glove going up, then back down before the motion starts. No swing back. What are the benefits to it?

3. Leaping. It defentitly will give more speed, but is it safe? Legal? I've watched the videos of a Virginian teacher (something Lynn, gone completely blank) and to me the style she teaches looks illegal to me, with the back leg rising up. I do know that all the top American pitchers use it though.

Any help would be much appreciated.
The back leg rising up is legal. After the stride foot plants, the pivot (push)foot can lose contact with the ground.

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks for that. I have my grand final on Saturday and then the off season is all about correcting my own pitching technique. (stride mostly) but I might try the leaping style and see if that works for me. I'm currently a stepper but pitch about 80km (49 miles) Once I get this extra weight off and do some slight changes I will get at least an extra 10-15km (I was throwing around 90km at state league level five years ago)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The "figure 4" sweep--IMHO, it is something taught to young kids to give them a feel for the motion. It isn't an essential component of the throwing motion.

the arm swing back--The purpose is to get the arm straight and loose before starting the arm moving forward. Some kids tend to start with a bent arm if they don't back swing. The backswing forces the arm to straighten.

"leaping"--it might add a couple of MPH, but probably not much more than that. Leaping is certainly safe and the big time pitchers do use that form.

Mar 13, 2010
The "figure 4" sweep--IMHO, it is something taught to young kids to give them a feel for the motion. It isn't an essential component of the throwing motion.

I'm glad to hear that! All the pitching videos on YouTube seem to teach it and its baffling me because its something that is very specifically taught NOT to do over here.

the arm swing back--The purpose is to get the arm straight and loose before starting the arm moving forward. Some kids tend to start with a bent arm if they don't back swing. The backswing forces the arm to straighten.

Just so I'm clear, it does nothing for speed? It just is a different style then, not mechanics.

"leaping"--it might add a couple of MPH, but probably not much more than that. Leaping is certainly safe and the big time pitchers do use that form.

That's what I thought. Unforuntly we've had all the state pitchers come in and teach my girls the crow hop straight away, despite the fact that as far as I can tell NO-ONE knows how to teach it yet. Watching the nationals over here for under 19s I saw at least five IP per game. That's practiclly unheard of at that level. All the boys had thrown a crow hop straight in. Of course, since the state pitchers are doing it, and the girls are getting some speed from it, its the bees knees for most of the parents. Nothing I'm saying to them can convince them that the style they're being taught is dangerous. Of course any girl that had a semblance of consistency now has none. (because the super smart state players taught this at the end of the season)

Thanks for all your help! I have so much reading to do on this site.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With a beginning pitcher, it is much easier to get the arm straight if she uses a back swing. If the arm is not straight, the pitcher will be much slower. A back swing almost guarantees a straight arm.

The back swing also helps to get a weight shift and to get the body in proper position for the push off. And, of course, once a pitcher gets the timing down using a back swing, she'll never change.

But, can you pitch as fast without the back swing? Yes. Is it more difficult to pitch correctly without the back swing? Yes.

Last edited:

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
"Leaping. It defentitly will give more speed, but is it safe? Legal? I've watched the videos of a Virginian teacher (something Lynn, gone completely blank) and to me the style she teaches looks illegal to me, with the back leg rising up."

I think you're referring to Rita Lynn Gilman: Rita Lynn Gilman Fast Pitch Instruction at Batter Up and across Virginia

I've taught my daughter the figure 4 follow thru based on her teaching & Michele Smith's. The idea is to follow thru strong by driving the backside into a "firm front side" as Michele Smith phrases it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619