Countering first impression "you are too small"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Never Say Never

All anybody who may be vertically challenged needs to do is watch the WCWS on ESPN when the Univ. of Alabama is playing. Check out the third baseman she is 4ft 11 in. Dont let anything hold you back!

Wow. I had no idea that D1 schools focused so much on size. I want to go to a D1 school so this is kind of scary for me cause if they're saying your daughter is too small and she's 5"2 then I wonder how they'd react to me...im 4"11.

wow. im just now seeing this. Im 4"11 like the 3rd baseman is but problem is that infield is usually smaller people and I play outfield which is usually tall big people. But like you said I'm not going to let anything hold me back.

May 7, 2008
dont give up

In the end my daughter did get recruited to an excellent DIII program that went deep in NCAA regionals last 6 years or so. She is the shortest on the team, but also one of the fastest. Also as a plug for Marc and his training methods, she trained with another trainer but very very similar methods achieved things like a 4.7 5-10-5 shuttle and 23.5 vertical jump. Speed and explosiveness does matter in softball... something those 5-10 185 pounders don't alwasy have.

Jun 6, 2009
All the pieces of the puzzle don't look alike.

Very true. I think all too often coaches (college in particular) get too formulaic in their approach to size. I coached a kid who might make 4'11" in heels. :eek: She is doing well at West Point. :D

Jun 11, 2009
Been there done that

As a former Division 1 pitching coach, size is definitely an issue that come up. Her stats will speak for her. Also, if she has received awards in her conference or any MVP awards for high school, that speaks volumes as well. If she is throwing 58-60, she should be able to get a scholarship to D2, D3 or NAIA regardless of size. It really is unfair that D1 schools put so much emphasis on size. I think quality players come in all shapes and sizes. Keep active in the recruiting process and hopefully good things will happen! -Heather www.2MinuteRecruit.com

My daughter went through the same thing. She was 5'3",62mph fastball. Fantastic change up and had all the pitches. 3 time All State Pitcher in NY, and college coaches did not even care. They want big bodies that can throw over 65. I have to laugh however because most of these bigger pitchers don't even have change-ups. These D-1 college coaches think they can win with gas cans when you need to have the other pitches. It is about keeping batters off balance. The hitters today are way to good. Some batters will not strike out period. Feel free to go on to there college softball website and you will see that they are 12-48 or something else close to it. Same old same old. Keep after it, don't take no for an answer. Don't let anyone tell your daughter that she is too small to pitch at the D-1 level. Find a good fit where she will play. D-1 softball is over hyped. There are plenty of very good D-2 teams out there. There are way to many D-1 teams out there that are mediocre at best.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I know a pitcherl who signed with a school that was in WCWS in last couple yrs. She is about 5-3, might weigh 105 lbs soaking wet. Not all schools discriminate against size, performance ability does count.

Dec 28, 2008
There are definitely schools out there who's coaches roll out 9 players on the field who all look alike because they believe "all" players should fit a mold. There are plenty of coaches out there though who understand that the game doesn't require a prototype. Taryne Mowatt isn't that big, doesn't throw 70, but not only played in the WCWS but she wont it in 2007 after pitching 8 games in 7 days. Girls that have heart, dreams and are willing to work hard will always find some home and typically with the better coaches who fully understand that you don't have to fit a mold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619