Countering first impression "you are too small"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
I play outfield which is usually tall big people. But like you said I'm not going to let anything hold me back.
You may need to prove that you can layout for balls because you won't have the same arm reach as the taller girls. But your size shouldn't be a problem at all providing gravity continues to operate in the same manner and fly balls still come down to the ground. :)

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Check out this website:

The 2000-2001 Collegiate Women Sports Awards - Division III - Kelly Schade - Simpson College

Kelly Schade was about 5'1". I have watched a lot of college ball and she is one of the best I have ever seen. She won two national championships and was one of the most focused players I have ever seen. I asked her all american catcher why she did not get a D1 scholarship and her reply was, "nobody ever gave her a chance". It is particularly bad in Iowa, since we play summer HS ball and girls do not get the exposure that TB girls have. So, it comes down to advocacy, having a coach who judgement is respected by college coaches and parents who know how to market (yes it is necessary) their FP daughter.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd doesn't have a problem with size standing just under 6 foot tall and is powerfully built. However, with speeds gunned by a University at their camp, of 58-60, she isn't getting any looks at the D-I level as a pitcher. Her size has hurt her for OF play. Coaches have looked at her size and assume she is real slow. While not a jack rabbit, she can cover some ground. We have a few D-II schools that are interested in her as a pitcher and one stated last week that they want her as an OF but will giver her a chance to be in the circle if that is what it takes to get her. Very nice coach who really cares about his players!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee