Cost of High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess we have it easy at our high school. We pay a $35 dollar per sport fee. Everything else is paid for by the school. Uniforms are provided by the school and returned after each season. We don't play any out of town tournaments or anything, so obviously no hotel stays involved. We do have a parent run concessions stand at all home softball games, and a "booster club" that does the same at all the other sporting events. Money raised by the booster club is donated back to school for field improvements, scoreboards, equipment, and things needed that the school can not afford to do.

For those that don't know, Il softball fan and I are from the same area and so, our players pay $85 sports fee. I guess some here aren't as fortunate.

Apr 28, 2016
I'm really so surprised by this thread! My DDs attend a private school and don't pay any fees to play sports. For softball, we had to provide the uniform pants, but the booster club provides the rest. As a private school, we are on the hook for a lot of fundraising and such, but zero sports fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2017
PA
We are very fortunate. Our school (800ish students) does not have an athletic participation fee, has an athletic budget itemized for each team, and also individual booster clubs. We are allowed two fund raisers as a program (players required to participate), but the booster club can do as many as they wish, (players not required to participate, but can if they wish) as long as they have been approved by administration. Our booster club does a great job raising funds and providing for our JH and HS program.

Uniform purchases are on a rotation, paid by school funds, unless teams would like something like an extra jersey. That would have to be purchased through team budget or booster club.

Nov 27, 2012
my budget is $135 per game, 18 varsity 8 JV games and 1 tourney. breaks down to $95 umpires, plus $40 electric. Now we raised $ for concessions and balls. and have to pay a $4 pr mile for away games, the farthest game is 65 miles, 130 x 4 = $520 plus $20 hr for driver. We have 8 away games, but get to ride with the baseball team. If we have 30 paid patrons at $5, we break even pretty much. $40 per kid doesn't go far. 25 kids just $1k, the schools charging $1K per girl, man, I'm at the wrong school! I could afford a pay raise at that school!

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Nov 27, 2012
55K just sounds way, way too high. 30K from your roster only would carry us for two years. This includes a week at the beach tourney, four days at state tourney and two more weekend tourneys. All of which girls rooms are paid for. Is your coaches salary included in that figure? Ours makes around $4,000 on top of teacher salary.

The coaches fee is 6600$. School pays for 2 coaches and the booster club pays for 3 more, the booster club part is 6600.

May 15, 2016
Luck of the draw, by state, I guess. I read somewhere 33 of the states in the country have some form of pay-to-play. Does anyone in pay-to-play states like the system? I imagine it keeps taxes down.

Feb 7, 2014
Sad state of affairs that so many public schools across the country are 'pay-to-play.' Yet another reason schools should get out of the 'sports business.'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00