Corner infielders positioning before pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
USSSA 10U All Stars Rules.

Situation is this, batter squares to bunt before pitcher separates her hands. F5 crashes super hard and ends up standing 2 feet away from the batter's box before the pitch has left the pitcher's hand. Batter clearly sees the F5 coming and misses the attempted bunt. PU calls strike. PU and BU look at each other and play continues.

I am in the 3rd base dugout and holler to the BU about the fielder being too close to the batter, but the next pitch is already being delivered so it is too late for anything to be done. After the inning I approach as both umps are discussing it. They tell me that they both saw her too late and will watch it next time. I try to find the rule because I could have sworn that there is a USSSA rule that states that all fielders must be in fair territory and behind the pitcher prior to the pitch being thrown but the only thing I can find is that the fielders can not intentionally distract the batter. (Rule 6 Sec 2-C)

Am I allowing a local rule to bleed over into my memory or am I just not finding the rule I am looking for?

Jun 22, 2008
They only have to be in fair territory, other than that they can be anywhere they like as long as they are not in the batters line of vision to the pitcher.

Mar 1, 2013
2 feet away? The first time some kid shows bunt then swings away, the coach will be modifying that procedure while he fills out dental insurance forms for his players.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
2 feet away? The first time some kid shows bunt then swings away, the coach will be modifying that procedure while he fills out dental insurance forms for his players.

I will never forget when we were a 10U C-level team. We were coaching our 1B and 3B to crash whenever the batter showed bunt. This worked great until we decided to "play up" in an A-level tournament one weekend and a batter did a fake bunt/swing. Batter squares to bunt, 1B and 3B crash hard and when she pulls the bat back I think every coach in our dugout yelled "STOP" at the same time.....I think we scared the crap out of everyone on the field. Fortunately our 3B did not get killed (RH batter) on the play. We immediately called time out and had a conference on the mound with the entire infield to change our instructions....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283