Core Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
I just have to pop in and say that I LOVE core training. Even my very young children will try to jump in and copy things we are doing because they think it looks like fun. Do you have any idea how cool it is to see a 2 year old get into a plank position just because they are trying to copy you?

By the way Barry does have some good youtube videos with some cool exercises and there ARE others on youtube as well. We like browsing around on youtube looking for new exercises to try. :)

Oct 19, 2009
Here is my 30 minute twice daily workout that I do.

Stretches

butt kicks

high knees

wall sits

planks-2 times

quick feet

ladder drills
in in out
two uo one back
right foot
left foot
side to side jumps

superman-2 times

jog/sprint

squats

inverted pushups(feet up and hands on floor)

Jumping jacks

side to side shuffels

stretches

Do each exercise for 30-60 seconds with 10 seconds between. Youcan do all of these exercises by youself with no equipment needed other than a chair or bench for the inverted pushups. Make a ladder out of tape or use your imagination

Different planes of motion and lower back

It seems that "core training" has become a popular buzz phrase in the fitness industry as of late. This is not necessarily such a bad thing, as the center of the body does need appropriate attention. As a personal trainer, I have certainly noticed that most girls tend to be weaker in their lower back (yes, this counts as part of the core). Working the core, however, must be part of a balanced workout regimen that also provides ample attention to the upper and lower body. If you are focusing exclusively on the core, then you will find poor results and may even risk muscular imbalance. That having been said, the following are some things to help develop a balanced core training program:
1. You do not move on only one plane of motion, so you should not work the core on only one plane of motion. There are, in fact, three planes to address when working the core: the frontal plane, the sagittal plane, and the transverse plane. Everyone seems really good at addressing the sagittal plane. This is worked while doing some crunches, planks and motions that generally encompass the front of the body. But we need balance! To work the frontal plane (side of the body), you can do side planks, pulleys from the ground, or tossing a medicine ball from side to side overhead (not too heavy), to name a few. For the transverse plane (going across), you must be careful not to overextend the lower back, or twist it past a normal range of motion. You can use medicine ball, bands, or pulleys for these types of exercises as well.
2. You really need to do some exercises to strengthen the lower back. "Supermans" (where the athlete lies on the ground face down and then lifts arms and legs) are a good exercise, in addition to "opposite arm, opposite leg" (where the athlete is on all fours and extends the left leg and the right arm - hold and then switch). There are many other good exercises for the lower back, but they are difficult to describe.
3. I usually work my core by doing lower back exercises every day and then picking one plane of motion to work on. For example, today I did lower back and transverse plane of motion. Tomorrow I will do lower back and sagittal.
4. Find exercises that are safe and manageable for a fourteen year old girl. Don't try to have her emulate some crazy trainer she saw at the gym. Focus on safety and correct form and you will benefit every time. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06