Core Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2008
I am looking for a good core training program for my 14 yo daughter. Money is a little tight so the most affordable the better.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How about free? This is a really good core workout:

click on this link: Men's Health, February, 2009

Go to page 108 in Men's Health. The planks are murderous.

For a variation on the planks, do a left plank, hold for 30 seconds, rotate into a plank where she is looking at the floor, hold for 30 seconds, then rotate into a right plank, hold for 30 seconds, then repeat.

You need a stopwatch for planks, because they are murder.

Throw in 50 to 100 crunches, and I think you've got a pretty good core workout.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Eddie, I suggest searching Youtube for core exercises. I've found quite a few videos with good body-only exercises that work the core very well. I put together a playlist of my two favorites. In fact I've been using quite a few myself and am enjoying incorporating the different exercises into my routine.

My favorite:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hEq4_rgn4XI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hEq4_rgn4XI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Another very good site is: Workout Body, Workout Routine, Nutrition Information | BodyRock.tv

I learned of this site when doing a Youtube search for core exercises.

Gerry

May 5, 2009
Don't forget your local library. I'm on book 7 at ours and one even came with DVD with the core workouts. Lots of great free information. While your there also check out the plyometric books.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
at 14 she should be in 9th grade and starting HS ball. the HS should get her into weight training , if she hasnt already. Even before season has started its OK to go ask for instruction in weights, etc. A coach would be a fool to turn down that request.

My 14 yr old does squats, deadlifts, clean & jerk for her "core" . In a couple of months, the difference is amazing in thier musculature.

WOW!

Just joined and look what I found!

Here are some of my favorites that are free as well :)
Please use with GOOD JUDGEMENT. No Pain No Gain is just a bunch of POO ;)

Enjoy!

YouTube - barryluv's Channel

The following you can use absolutely nothing, softballs or dumbbells:

haha..this is one of my first YouTube vids..A little TOO serious..LOL :)

Enjoy peeps!

Have a great day and I will do my best to check in at this cool community often.

Oct 25, 2009
at 14 she should be in 9th grade and starting HS ball. the HS should get her into weight training , if she hasnt already. Even before season has started its OK to go ask for instruction in weights, etc. A coach would be a fool to turn down that request.

My 14 yr old does squats, deadlifts, clean & jerk for her "core" . In a couple of months, the difference is amazing in thier musculature.

Those exercises are exactly what you need. But also throw in the planks mentioned above; they work the deep core muscles that are overlooked by most core exercises.

You probably already know this but make sure the squats are full squats (below parallel). Otherwise it creates a big imbalance between the quads, hamstrings and glutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06