Convert Weak/Average RH Hitters to Slappers at 12U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I have a few RH hitters who are great fielders but weak to average hitters. Would you convert them into lefty slappers at 12U?

Before you shred me to pieces allow me to qualify. The girls in questions have poor swing mechanics and their parents have opted not to take them to hitting coaches. I have setup a hitting practice once a week but they do not show. It's also hard to work with them one on one when you have several girls at regular practice.

My thinking is that if they could have some success in learning to slap (and get on base other than walking) they may be more apt to stick with softball going forward (since they are really good fielders already). I have done this with one other girl and she has been very successful.

I hate to make a girl hit a certain way or field one certain position at this age (they are young, I get it) but we are at the age where the girls that aren't having success start moving on to different things. It just seems odd that the parents don't notice this as well...

Just wanted some opinions from people that have been through this.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
No one is going to shred you. It is a good post.
Right off the top, if these girls don't come to hitting practice now, and if they have poor righty mechs, it will be nearly impossible for them to learn to slap lefty. It takes a lot of extra work, and frankly a good athlete. If they are not willing to put in a ton of extra time, you would be taking on a failing venture.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hey, Your a coach who is trying to help. I wouldn't ''shred" you for that. You can lead a horse to water but, you can't make them drink it. Same where I'm at offered to help hitters for 2 seasons now. Not one girl/parent has taken me up on this offer. You want the hitter to want the help. Does no good if the hitters thinks they don't need help or wants help.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK

If the coach has optional practices for the most part DD is not going to show up.

She would take as much time as you would provide her if you had the patience to teach her to slap.

See if there is some interest and the players are willing to commit to it for at least say 4 weeks, they need to be at all the slapping practices. If you cannot get that minimum commitment just give up.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Learning to slap from the left hand box is going to take just as much time/effort as learning how to hit the ball with a full swing from the right hand box. I would suggest trying to shorten their load, and get them to take a 3/4 swing in order to make contact with the ball. A ball in play is better than a strike out, and as they gain confidence they can gradually work to get back to taking a full swing. Unless the kid has some SERIOUS speed, then hitting from the left hand box may have some advantages.

Apr 15, 2012
IMO Teaching a girl to slap that doesn't have exceptional speed is not in the best interest of the girl. She will probably be successfull with it at 10u or 12u but, at 14u and older with out the speed it will not force pressure on the defense and she will just get thrown out most of the time. I believe they need to first learn to hit for power and learn to be a rounded batter. This will carry them farther in their softball endeavors. My DD is a righty but bats left. I can't count how many coaches and parents see that she bats left and imediately wants to make her a slapper. Luckily her coach feels the same way I do and pushed to be a good hitter first. She is not exceptionally fast, maybe a little above average. We taught her to do some slapping this last season. We only used it as a "tool" in her arsenal. Most of the time she would get a slap take sign to pull in the defense. Then it was swing away. When the teams caught on to the slap take, we just went ahead and had her slap sometimes.
My point is, slapping is a great tool tool to have. But teaching them to have a mechanically sound swing should be first priority. IMO, the only exception is a kid with some serious wheels!!

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I wouldn't waste my time. If you have set up a hitting practice and they do not show there is no help for them. I don't see where you mentioned it being an optional practice, so that means they are missing a team practice which shows their commitment to the game.

The one flip side could be that if you offer them the slap practice, being something new, it may invigorate them and make them want to show up again for practices.

I applaud your efforts for coaching and searching for ways to help your girls.

Apr 6, 2012
IMO Teaching a girl to slap that doesn't have exceptional speed is not in the best interest of the girl. She will probably be successfull with it at 10u or 12u but, at 14u and older with out the speed it will not force pressure on the defense and she will just get thrown out most of the time. I believe they need to first learn to hit for power and learn to be a rounded batter. This will carry them farther in their softball endeavors. My DD is a righty but bats left. I can't count how many coaches and parents see that she bats left and imediately wants to make her a slapper. Luckily her coach feels the same way I do and pushed to be a good hitter first. She is not exceptionally fast, maybe a little above average. We taught her to do some slapping this last season. We only used it as a "tool" in her arsenal. Most of the time she would get a slap take sign to pull in the defense. Then it was swing away. When the teams caught on to the slap take, we just went ahead and had her slap sometimes.
My point is, slapping is a great tool tool to have. But teaching them to have a mechanically sound swing should be first priority. IMO, the only exception is a kid with some serious wheels!!

Very good advice. This idea that coaches should convert weak right handed batters to left handing slappers is something I have never understood. As you said, this is only an option if a girl has exceptional speed. A truly effective slapper MUST be able to swing away, especially at the older ages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32