Continuation play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2011
Hi all,

I'm a 10U coach. Just wondering how everyone defends a continuation play on a walk with a runner on third base and less then 2 outs. If we throw to 2nd the run scores. If we don't it's 2nd and 3rd.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
At 10U, whether a team continuates (I know, not a real word!) or not, the very next pitch you will have 2nd and 3rd anyway unless your catcher has a phenomenal arm and you can count on her throwing out the runner a high percentage of the time (not usually). So as a coach, you need to decide whether it's worth going after the out, or let them run to second since they will do it the next pitch anyway. I personally think if you go after the out at second early in the game, a "smart" opposing coach will stop using the continuation play, since no one in their right mind would give up the out for a run when on the very next pitch he could have 2nd and 3rd anyway.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Throw the ball to 1st, make the runner stop, throw the ball back to the pitcher.

This makes the most sense to me. Throw the ball to 1st, tag the batter/runner as soon as they step off the bag, and then throw home if the runner on third is going. My question is when can the runner on third leave third base to run home? Do they have to wait until the batter/runner touches first base or can they run home before the batter/runner touches first base? The answer will greatly affect the effectiveness of throwing to first.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My question is when can the runner on third leave third base to run home?

Whenever they want, they just need to make a decision when the ball gets into the circle. If it leaves the circle, throw to 1st, they can do whatever they want again until the ball gets back into the circle.

I like all the above. It sounds like if you practice a couple things you will catch a Team trying to be clever.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Last year, we used the F2>F1>F6 to get the runner at 2B after the walk play all the time at 10U and most of the time then got the runner going to home. Do not count 10U out. They can handle a lot more than you think. You just have to practice it.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Last year, we used the F2>F1>F6 to get the runner at 2B after the walk play all the time at 10U and most of the time then got the runner going to home. Do not count 10U out. They can handle a lot more than you think. You just have to practice it.

I would think F2>F1>F3 to get the runner rounding first, then F3>F2 to get the runner going home would be more efficient. F3>F2 is only 60 ft. while F6>F2 is 84 ft.

Jun 22, 2008
I would think F2>F1>F3 to get the runner rounding first, then F3>F2 to get the runner going home would be more efficient. F3>F2 is only 60 ft. while F6>F2 is 84 ft.

The lookback rule is not in effect until the batter/runner has reached 1st base and the ball is in posession and control of the pitcher. Until then, nothing requires the runner at 3rd to return to the base. If you throw the ball back to F1 and then to F3 with the intent of stopping the batter/runner from rounding the base, the ball would need to be to F3 before they ever got to 1st, so the lookback rule would never be in effect, and the runner at 3rd can still be doing anything they want.

As has been mentioned before in the other thread, especially at the 10U level, you can stop the runner at 1st by throwing to F3, but they are just going to steal on the next pitch. Now you are dealing with 2 long throws, one to get the runner stealing 2nd and then back to home. If you use the rule to your advantage and practice the play, throwing the ball to F1 will force the runner at 3rd to return to the base. If the batter/runner does make an attempt to advance to 2nd, the pitcher now has a very short throw to F6, especially if they are standing at the very back of the circle. Runner at 3rd is force to stay on the base until the pitcher makes a play. If you work out the timing of the play, it is a quick tag at 2nd and then throw to home for the play there.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
The lookback rule is not in effect until the batter/runner has reached 1st base and the ball is in posession and control of the pitcher. Until then, nothing requires the runner at 3rd to return to the base. If you throw the ball back to F1 and then to F3 with the intent of stopping the batter/runner from rounding the base, the ball would need to be to F3 before they ever got to 1st, so the lookback rule would never be in effect, and the runner at 3rd can still be doing anything they want.

I don't think I was clear in my post. F3 is not "on" first base. F3 would be 10 feet off first base in the base path between first and second. As soon as the batter/runner continues, F1 throws to F3, F3 tags the batter/runner and then throws to F2 if the runner on third is going home. It's pretty much the same idea, but with a shorter throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi