confused

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
My DD is a 14yo freshman on the local HS team, and this year is not turning out as expected. First off as a freshman we were just looking to make JV and instead made varsity, so that is great. Secondly we were hoping to get some pitching time and at the ten game point of the season she has logged the most innings pitched, has all the pitching wins and two saves so that is even better. And when it comes to batting she has all three of the teams homeruns, leads in BA, RBI and OBP and walks. (This team has maybe five great hitters and the rest are rec at best).
So now the stage is set to consider what happened yesterday. In the previous two games my DD did not get a hit, she walked three times and struckout twice. Well yesterday my wife text me at work to inform me that DD was mowing them down pitching and NOT in the batting lineup. This really upset DD as she takes great pride in her hitting, and I think she took it out on the other teams batters, as she hit the first two batters of the game then struck the next three happy feeters out.
My wife asked why she did not bat, calmly and after the game, and after she asked if she could ask a question about DD. Coach said that she had not been doing well the last two games and wanted to try something else. I think after such a strong start to the season he is expecting a little too much from her. I say that as in the second game without a hit at the end he got upset and about threw his hat when she drew a walk to load the bases. The team lost the game and thinking back on it i think he is blaming her for the loss because she drew the walk to load the bases with two outs and the following batter popped up the the catcher to end the game. And the very next game she is not in the batting lineup?
Thoughts anyone? I cant wait for travel ball to start.

Dec 28, 2008
Part of a coaches job is to try what they feel is right to get the most out of the players in their charge. Sometimes when they are first made they don't seem that wise, but they need to be judged based on the way your daughter reacts going forward. If she uses it as fuel, gets more aggressive at the plate and starts producing more runs then it worked. If she collapses and goes backwards then it was bad decision.

The fact that your daughter got her compsure together and did her job pitching is a great sign that she's a very mentally strong competitor. That's a great sign of where her career is heading.

Feb 17, 2011
Yeah that could be said as she is not the first of the top 5 batters to sit out, but that being said, some of those who are being put into the line up the top five could out hit left handed.... and i am seriously not kidding. He seems top put a lot of pressure on them, and DD and the others are handling it fine but even at that it seems that in the last few games there has been no flow to the team. Others in the line up are known 0fers and no wrath seems to come their way. In fact most of the parents, even the parents of the subs who are getting the extra playing time or at bats question whether or not if he even cares about winning. I dont think this to be the case because why then would he raise so much cain over losses and mistakes. IDK with baseball and softball even the best will go hitless from time to time but how are they to work out of a slump? I am sure it is temporary but i think it is odd to use games to make your point and not extra practice or laps after practice to bring about focus.

Nov 29, 2009
Ok... So your DD is a stud on the Varsity team as a freshman. She is pitching a lot and hitting. She had a couple of bad games at the plate and the coach looks to try something different. I'm guessing she's never been kept out of the hitting lineup. You don't say if the program is a high level program or not. Either way, welcome to life with the big dogs... It's not always easy. It's not about your DD. It's about the team. The coach is looking to do everything in his power to put the team in a position to win. The question you need to be asking is what happened that your daughter had a couple of bad games at the plate. Did she change something in her swing. Was it just nerves?? Not WHY the coach did what he did. He made that clear.

She was still in the game at one of THE most important positions on the field and she's upset she's not hitting. Not a good attitude.

Feb 17, 2011
Ok... So your DD is a stud on the Varsity team as a freshman. She is pitching a lot and hitting. She had a couple of bad games at the plate and the coach looks to try something different. I'm guessing she's never been kept out of the hitting lineup. You don't say if the program is a high level program or not. Either way, welcome to life with the big dogs... It's not always easy. It's not about your DD. It's about the team. The coach is looking to do everything in his power to put the team in a position to win. The question you need to be asking is what happened that your daughter had a couple of bad games at the plate. Did she change something in her swing. Was it just nerves?? Not WHY the coach did what he did. He made that clear.

She was still in the game at one of THE most important positions on the field and she's upset she's not hitting. Not a good attitude.

Well her attitude is fine with me. She can play three games in a given day and still want to hit in the back yard. After the second game of not getting a hit she insisted on an hours hitting lesson to work on slower pitching speeds, which gave her problems, and made good adjustments just to have this happen the very next day.
The program is right now rebuilding after being state champs three years in a row and noone sees his moves with the girls as even remotely putting them in any position to win. As for why he did what he did..... that is interesting as she got on base three times with walks during those two bad games, and seemingly "lost" the other game by taking a walk in the game before being pulled from batting line up.
Just knowing most of these girls from rec and TB since they were 8 we all know who works at their game and who doesnt, who was at winter workouts everyday and who was not, and who has never played a postion that he keeps insisting on playing a girl at , second base, and yet he wonders why this girl sometimes screws up his twenty some bunt rotations.

Oct 3, 2009
My DD is a 14yo freshman on the local HS team, and this year is not turning out as expected. First off as a freshman we were just looking to make JV and instead made varsity, so that is great. Secondly we were hoping to get some pitching time and at the ten game point of the season she has logged the most innings pitched, has all the pitching wins and two saves so that is even better. And when it comes to batting she has all three of the teams homeruns, leads in BA, RBI and OBP and walks. (This team has maybe five great hitters and the rest are rec at best).
So now the stage is set to consider what happened yesterday. In the previous two games my DD did not get a hit, she walked three times and struckout twice. Well yesterday my wife text me at work to inform me that DD was mowing them down pitching and NOT in the batting lineup. This really upset DD as she takes great pride in her hitting, and I think she took it out on the other teams batters, as she hit the first two batters of the game then struck the next three happy feeters out.
My wife asked why she did not bat, calmly and after the game, and after she asked if she could ask a question about DD. Coach said that she had not been doing well the last two games and wanted to try something else. I think after such a strong start to the season he is expecting a little too much from her. I say that as in the second game without a hit at the end he got upset and about threw his hat when she drew a walk to load the bases. The team lost the game and thinking back on it i think he is blaming her for the loss because she drew the walk to load the bases with two outs and the following batter popped up the the catcher to end the game. And the very next game she is not in the batting lineup?
Thoughts anyone? I cant wait for travel ball to start.

So seriously????? She makes Varsity as a Freshman and has a great start and is positioned to be a team leader and she cannot support a coaches approach to shaking things up??? Are you one of "those parents"? Why not use it as a teaching moment for your DD?

Nov 29, 2009
Well her attitude is fine with me.

Therein lies your problem. Everything you posted screamed ME, ME, ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said nothing about her performance. It's about what she does when faced with adversity.

Was this the same coach who brought the team to three straight state titles??? If it is you have no idea how he got the team there. You weren't there.

Feb 17, 2011
I dont feel as though I am one of "those parents" as I can honestly say having coached a lot myself I know the value of challenging players who are not giving their all. But I am running out of ways to rationalize what is going on with the whole team. This is just not about my dd I just used her case as an example of how things are turning out as the season goes along.
She does not need to be told she should have hit a pitcher who was barely hitting 50 mph and it was her idea to taking extra batting at the place she trains which is about 50 miles away on a school night and in that respect her attitude is fine with me. And more importantly she and the rest of the team does not need to be screamed at the slightest hiccup. It might be his personality but all I know is that this team is so uptight they are now scared to make a move and to see them honestly getting worse as the season goes on hurts.

The whole situation is tough to describe without sounding like a whinny rear and I can see how I can be perceived as such, but my dd has had some tough TB coaches in the past and they have no doubt helped get her where she is today but I cannot not say that this coach has done anything but destroy confidence in the best players on the team.

Yes this is the coach who took the team to three state titles and all i can say is "you aren't here". This team is very young and one has to ask why there is no seniors who came back out and only one junior in a school of 1800 students. I think he has driven the older players off.

Aug 16, 2010
Seems your options are limited:
1) Back up and try to be objective about moves understanding that this may be about trying something to spark another kid into stepping up and not just about your dd;
2) Put this in perspective in that you have already exceeded your expectations for this year by making v team and excelling and these 9-10 missed at bats isn't the end of the world;
3) Be supportive of TEAM and help your dd understand these character bldg opportunities even if coach did make a mistake;
4) Make this a huge deal - complain to everyone who will listen and divide the team into your camp and coach's camp;
5) Move;
6) Start your own high school and coach the team;

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The program is right now rebuilding after being state champs three years in a row

Just when you think you've heard everything in the world of softball...

Your DD, a *FRESHMAN*, is the #1 pitcher for a guy who has won THREE championships. So, the coach lets a player bat for your DD. But, of course, you aren't satisfied--because, after all, the other players on the team don't mean squat compared to your DD.

The nerve of those other kids on the team, thinking they should occasionally get to play. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say. Oh...I'm getting the vapors just thinking of the tremendous injustice done to your child.

But I am running out of ways to rationalize what is going on with the whole team.

Then don't. Everyone talks about "sports teaching important life lessons"--well, guess what? This is one of them. Sometimes you do what the "boss/customer says" because they are the "boss/customer".

This is just not about my dd

Right...that is so clear. You want your DD to bat, because that is what is best for the team. The sacrifice your DD is willing to make is certainly inspiring.

I dont feel as though I am one of "those parents

Uh....yes you are.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish