Composite Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
I just bought my DD her first composite bat. Within the first 10 hits at BP, the bat began to rattle inside. The manufacturer is replacing the bat just as they should. I had a friend tell me about a place that does some type of freezing process that makes composite bats more durable. I can't seem to find much information on this. Do you guys know anything about this? Should I find out who does this and have them do this to my DD's bat? I spent a lot of money and want to make sure she gets good life out of the bat.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2011
Hmmm. I don't know much in this area, but to freeze a bat seems to be highly suspect. I do believe the manufacturers are out to sell bats that last as long as they can. They KNOW that if they make a good long lasting bat, the customers will not only come, but return. If it did much, I would guess they would implement it themselves.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I have heard of cryo freezing to ease manufacturing stresses in metal parts, since they are created with force. It's popular among competition shooters, and many claim gun barrels can be greatly improved by this.

Composite bats, are make with thread(or fabric) wound around a mandrel, then which should not "manufacture in" any stresses. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I cannot envision freezing accomplishing anything.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
I'll highjack thread just for the heck of it. Last practice while I wasnt watching, coach tells girls to use game bats/composite for tee practice. DD smacks her bat on metal tee thing..breaks bat. Oh how she loved that bat..... with her cage bat in her bag being unloved. Im still pissed. Any time I can vent I will. My blood pressure just went up again though.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am trying to figure out how you hit the metal part of a tee and how that would break a bat. People whack those things on telephone poles and they don't break. It is good or a composite to be used for tee work.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I believe that freezing an aluminum bat has to do with recyrstallization. Recrystallization replaces exiting grains with new strain free grains. The density of dislocations is reduced, strength is lowered and ductility is increased. One desirable property of recrystallization is that grain size will be reduced if there has been a considerable amount of deformation, changing a large rain structure into a smaller and more desirable small grain one. This is for metal only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid