Completion of AB after 4th ball or batter reaches base resulting from walk?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As I understand it, the idea was to move the game along (too many walks, though they didn't actually say that). It is also this league's 1st age group with the dropped 3rd strike rule in effect; not sure if that played into the decision. All I know is that my poor scorekeeper was going nuts using GC until I found iScore lol!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As I understand it, the idea was to move the game along (too many walks, though they didn't actually say that). It is also this league's 1st age group with the dropped 3rd strike rule in effect; not sure if that played into the decision. All I know is that my poor scorekeeper was going nuts using GC until I found iScore lol!

Hmmm...We start D3K, stealing home, infield fly, etc. at 10U (ASA rules).

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My rec league this season decided that the 12U girls would start with an 0-1 count.
I have to agree that is a nutty rule.
I've played slow pitch where very batter starts with a 1-1 count to speed up the game.
I've also done done some intra-squad scrimmages where we start every one out 1-1 count in an effort to get more girls ABs. But usually only do it when we are under time pressure, like an indoor facility or we are losing light.
But I can't fathom doing it in any kind of competitive league.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have to agree that is a nutty rule.
I've played slow pitch where very batter starts with a 1-1 count to speed up the game.
I've also done done some intra-squad scrimmages where we start every one out 1-1 count in an effort to get more girls ABs. But usually only do it when we are under time pressure, like an indoor facility or we are losing light.
But I can't fathom doing it in any kind of competitive league.

The purpose of the rule is to encourage the batter to swing the bat instead of waiting for that obligatory first strike. All this does is provide the strike on which the batter was waiting.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
The purpose of the rule is to encourage the batter to swing the bat instead of waiting for that obligatory first strike. All this does is provide the strike on which the batter was waiting.

Yeah, what MTR said lol!

And apologies for the threadjacking.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, what MTR said lol!

And apologies for the threadjacking.

BTW, that is the same reason SP starts with a 1-1 count. Couldn't count the number of times a batter would stand there and say, "wow, that was a good pitch". When asked why s/he didn't swing, it was the standard LL baseball response. "Can't swing at a pitch until I get a strike".

Well, in SP, they get that strike they were waiting on free of charge :)

Sep 30, 2013
I'm not sure why there'd be so much trouble with GC just because the count started at something other than 0-0.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
GC and starting with other than 0-0 count:

1. It's just plain cumbersome to handle.
2. It takes too much time to make the adjustment.
or
2a. It screws up pitcher stats and pitch counts.

Try it some time on a 12U game. As I'm sure you're aware, they do not move at the snail's pace of a MLB game. iScore, while much less intuitive for socring, is much more flexible in setup.

Apr 1, 2010
BTW, that is the same reason SP starts with a 1-1 count. Couldn't count the number of times a batter would stand there and say, "wow, that was a good pitch". When asked why s/he didn't swing, it was the standard LL baseball response. "Can't swing at a pitch until I get a strike".

I'm totally biased, but that is something I like about DD's at bats. If she likes the first pitch, she'll swing. It was rough last night though, when she swung at the first pitch with 2 outs, bases loaded and popped up. :-(

But you live by sword, die by the sword. I'd still rather see someone swing than stand there and watch a beautiful strike go by. JMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez