Commitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
While I am a HUGE fan of being committed to the team, I have learned over the years not to judge others until I have walked a mile in their shoes.
I hear you. DD has made every game and only missed 1 practice because I had to coach at another field this season for her rec team. Saturday they are in playoffs and DW has us tickets for something else that day 4 moths ago. Delema.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Commitment is a word used with no meaning anymore. I have two coaches who are committed. Because they are they communicate and stay on top of things. I have a few families that do the same. However, I have coached many a player whose families preached "COMMITMENT" until they had a situation where "COMMITMENT" did not fit their agenda. Guess what? "COMMITMENT" gets thrown out the window! We live in a day and age when very few truly understand and live their life "COMMITTED" to anything. This includes, Family, Arts, Academics, Work and Sports. It is not just applicable to Softball. Saddens me..:(

Aug 10, 2012
Kansas City Area
Rec or travel?

Some parents have zero baseball/softball background and no idea how to even help their kids.

Yes in a perfect world all parents would work with their kids at home but the reality is some don't have the time and others don't have the ability.

Now if you are talking about not being able to get kids to games and practices that they are supposed to be at...grrrrr.

It is travel. I certainly understand missing for some of the things mentioned. A family get together, school function. That all makes sense.

The situation I am PO'd about is none of that. Basically, player didn't want to go and parents let her out of it. Her mother is an AC.

I know my DD will be missing practice this Friday because her brother is graduating this weekend and there is a family function. That, IMHO, is acceptable, once the coach has been informed, multiple times.

Everyone has a different philosophy about missing, but it hurts a team when some are committed and some just choose not to go because they have "something better" to do.

Apr 11, 2012
It is travel. I certainly understand missing for some of the things mentioned. A family get together, school function. That all makes sense.

The situation I am PO'd about is none of that. Basically, player didn't want to go and parents let her out of it. Her mother is an AC.

I know my DD will be missing practice this Friday because her brother is graduating this weekend and there is a family function. That, IMHO, is acceptable, once the coach has been informed, multiple times.

Everyone has a different philosophy about missing, but it hurts a team when some are committed and some just choose not to go because they have "something better" to do.

you don't have to "put up with it" if that's how you want to run your team....remember, excused or not, you teach what you allow.....with "committment" comes "sacrifice" sometimes. My DD has missed plenty of MS dances, skate parties and other meaningless events because of softball practice and games. Now I will say there will be some things for school you will have to deal with, but there are very few required school activities on the weekend....and missing practice during the week with a last minute reminder from a parent sent to you should bear a consequence....

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Speaking of commitment! This weekend is our Rec end of season tournament. 9 team double elimination winners get trophy etc...
We just received an email that 2 of the teams will not be participating. WTH is that and who makes that decision?
You know there are girls on those teams that worked hard all season looking forward to this weekend and somebody has robbed them of that.. just another rant!!!!

Speaking of commitment! This weekend is our Rec end of season tournament. 9 team double elimination winners get trophy etc...
We just received an email that 2 of the teams will not be participating. WTH is that and who makes that decision?
You know there are girls on those teams that worked hard all season looking forward to this weekend and somebody has robbed them of that.. just another rant!!!!

This is the worst time of year with just a few weeks left in school all the band trips/concerts/plays/graduations/parties/dances it happens, we just played a team with 13 girls on it, they had to pick up a player from another team (we allow pool players) just to take the field.

Apr 13, 2013

I absolutely hate the end of the year tournament. 2 years ago I told the HC before the year started that DD would not be participating in it. People go nuts for a silly rec game. She did play and it worked out OK but I still hate it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have to speak to a new TB team (10U), Sunday morning. I need to touch on what commitment means in TB. To me it means, I do my best to get my DD to the practice and games. I can't remember anyone ever missing a practice or games, where my sons were concerned. I don't know why it is different for boys. I can't imagine anyone on my son's team stating I won't be there. There were just no excuses. If a family reunion was planned a year in advance, my kids knew to reply "Sorry. I imagine that I will have a ball game." That was the choice boys made, if they wanted to play.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
I can take or leave the rec ball. Right now it's purpose for us is mound time for DD. However, i find mostly due to lack of parent involvement and/or finances rec is all most of these wonderful girls will ever get to play. :(

Apr 19, 2013
This weekend we have 3 girls that will miss our tourney. Two of them are the top two pitchers. (It will be an interesting tourney)The coach was made aware of one well in advance. Tickets had been purchased before joining the team, and there is no refund. The other two girls are going to miss to be at a family member's graduation (Coach was not told until Tues). My DD missed part of a scrimmage practice due to an orchestra concert which was mandatory for her to be at as it was part of her grade. We made it to the last 30 minutes of the practice..she changed into her uniform going down the road. Better than missing it all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207